- FloraCraft&Foam: Sheets: 1/2x12x36, 1x12x36
- Cube: 5x5
- Spray Paints: primer, copper; clear sealer
- Acrylic paints: metallic gold bright gold
- Wood dowel: 5/8x18
- Metallic gift wrap: gold
- Metallic ribbon or scrapbook paper: copper
- Wire ornament hooks: gold
- Acrylic crystal drops: assorted sizes
- Design It: Foam Cutter or serrated knife
- Low-temp glue gun glue sticks
- Wire cutters
- Flat paintbrushes
- Drop cloth
- Straight pins
1. Draw star patterns onto the cardstock and cut them out to create templates. At least 5 sizes of stars are required, ranging from 2"to 12"across at the widest points. Draw the different sized stars by hand so they are all unique in shape.
2. Pin the largest star template onto the 1&thick foam sheet. Use the StyroCutter Plus to cut out the star using the edge of the template as a guide. Hold the blade at a 90-degree angle to the template to ensure a straight even edge. Be sure to follow the package instructions carefully. Repeat this step to cut out 6 of the largest stars.
3. Arrange the 6 large stars on the table. Lay them out in a long triangular shape with points touching. Place one star in the center and the other stars around it to form the triangular shape. This is the base shape for the tree. Glue the stars together. Carefully insert the dowel into the bottom of the center star about 2". Glue the dowel to secure in place. Glue the base stars together where the points touch.
4. Repeat step #2 to cut out about 8 each of the next two largest sizes of stars. Glue the stars evenly spaced on top of the base stars. Be sure to position the stars so that they help connect and secure the base stars together and fill in the tree shape.
5. Repeat step #2 to cut out about 10 each of the two smallest sizes of stars from the 1/2” thick foam sheet. Glue the stars wherever they are needed to fill in the tree shape as shown.
6. Lay the tree on the drop cloth and base coat the entire tree (front, sides and back) with light coats of primer to completely cover. Be sure to hold the can at least 12"away and do not apply too heavy of a coat at one time. This will prevent the spray from melting the foam. Allow to dry.
7. Apply light even coats of copper spray paint to the entire tree to completely cover. Allow to dry. Spray the entire tree with the clear sealer and allow to dry.
8. Use a paintbrush to add the metallic gold acrylic paint to the fronts of the 6 largest base stars on the tree. Apply a light dry brushing allowing some of the copper to show through.
9. Use a paintbrush to add the bright gold to the smallest two sizes of stars on the front of the tree. Paint the stars so they are evenly spaced leaving some of the smaller stars copper as shown.
10. Wrap the cube completely with giftwrap. Embellish with copper ribbon or a strip of scrapbook paper.
11. Slice a small hole in the top of the cube and insert the dowel. Remove dowel, add some glue then reinsert dowel.
12. Use the ornament hooks to embellish the tree with the crystal drops. Insert the hooks directly into the foam to hang the drops from the points of the stars.