SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Rit Dye® Color Perfect colors of choice
- Rit Dye® Color Perfect Color Stay Dye Fixative
- 100% cotton tote
- Stencil(s) of choice
- Elmer’s® Craft Bond™ Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive
- Cardboard or freezer paper
- Manila file folder
- Scotch Tape
- Rubber or latex gloves
- Plastic table cover
- Paper towels/newspaper
- Plastic wrap
1. Cover work surface with plastic table cover.
2. Cut cardboard or freezer paper to fit the inside of the tote. This will prevent dye from bleeding through to the other side of the bag.
3. Insert cardboard or freezer paper into the bag.
4. Determine desired location of stencil(s) on tote.
5. Remove the stencil(s) and place upside down on a separate piece of newspaper or paper towels and apply spray adhesive, following manufacturer’s instructions. Discard sticky paper towel underneath stencil.
6. Place stencils on tote and press down firmly.
7. Cover bag handles with manila file folder; secure with tape.
8. Shake Rit Color Perfect dye bottles before using. Dye is ready to use right out of the bottle. Remove cap from first color and apply the spray applicator and screw on tightly. Test spray on paper towels before spraying on the bag.
9. Spray green dye lightly over the stencil and to the edges of the bag. Dab excess dye on the stencil with a paper towel.
10. Shake Rit Color Perfect #2. Using the dauber applicator paint accents in the second color as desired.
11. To enhance retention, spray Color Stay Dye fixative liberally over the bag with the stencil still in place. Let set for 20 minutes.
12. Remove the stencil and wrap the bag in plastic wrap, sealing outer edges. Place wrapped bag in the microwave and heat on high for 30 seconds. If there is no scorching, heat again for 30 seconds. Carefully remove plastic (it will be hot). Allow to dry completely.
13. Repeat steps on the other side if desired.
14. Holding the bag from the handles, rinse under cold running water until rinse water runs clear. Then launder in warm soapy water, rinse and dry flat on an old towel.