Stonehill Beaded Skirt
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Stonehill Collection fabrics:
- Fabric A, 2 yd (skirt body and yolk)***
- Fabric B, 1-1/2 yd (hem)***
- Fabric C, 3/4 yd (sash)
- Butterick pattern 4686
- Blue Moon beads:
- 4mm glass cube beads
- Crackle glass beads
- 4mm glass faceted beads
- Color Coordinates crystal glass beads
- Extra-fine beading needle
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- 7" Zipper
- Hook and eye closure
***Fabric yardage will change depending on size. Check back of pattern for correct yardage for skirt.
- Using Butterick pattern 4686, cut out pattern pieces for view C.
- On skirt front (4) mark 65/8" up from bottom edge. Cut pattern at marking. Make sure to clearly mark center front and side front on new front hem piece. This will be your front hem piece for fabric B.
- Repeat step three for skirt back (3). Clearly mark center back and side back on new back hem piece. This will also be a hem piece for fabric B.
- Lay skirt front (4), skirt back (3) and front and back yolk pieces on fabric A. Make sure center fronts are on fold.
- Add 5/8" seam allowance to skirt front (4) and skirt back (3) at bottom. Cut out.
- Lay new front hem pattern piece and new back hem pattern piece on fabric B.
- Add 5/8" seam allowance to top of front hem piece and to the top of back hem piece. Cut out.
- For belt, cut 4 pieces of fabric C measuring 32"x4" each.
- With right sides together, pin two pieces together and stitch only one short end (4" end). Keep a 1/2" seam allowance. Press seam open. This will be the center back seam for belt. Repeat for the remaining two pieces.
- Again with right sides together, pin both long belt pieces together. Raw edges should be even and center back seams should match. At ends of belt draw an angle and cut.
- Keeping a 1/2" seam allowance, stitch all edges of belt and leave a 6" opening on one long side of belt. Turn belt right side out. Press. Slip stitch opening closed.
- Stitch skirt front (4) and skirt front hem pieces together keeping a 5/8" seam allowance. Match center front and side front.
- Stitch skirt back (3) and skirt back hem pieces together keeping a 5/8" seam allowance. Match center back and side back edges.
- Follow pattern manufacturer's instructions to construct skirt.
- Once skirt is completed, bead hem of skirt or sash using thread and extra fine beading needle. Follow print pattern on fabric as a beading guide.