Stonehill Pieced Apron
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Stonehill Collection Razzle Dazzle fabrics, 5 coordinating colors of choice:
- 3/8 yd for body
- 1/4 yd for ruffle
- 1/8 yd for hem-band
- 3/4 yd for pockets
- 3/8 yd for waistband and ties
- 3/8 yd Lightweight non-woven fusible interfacing
- All-purpose sewing thread
- Hand needle
- Pattern-making paper
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Using pattern paper, measure and cut 5 rectangular-shaped patterns with the following dimensions.
- Apron Body, measure and cut one rectangle 42"W x 23"L.
- Ruffle, measure and cut one rectangle 6"W x 42"L.
- Hem Band, measure and cut one rectangle 4"W x 42"L.
- Waistband, measure and cut one rectangle 4"W x 25"L.
- Ties, measure and cut one rectangle 4"W x 30"L.
- Trace and transfer pocket pattern to pattern paper.
- Using these patterns, cut one each of Body, Ruffle, Hem Band and Waistband from fabric. Cut 2 Ties. Cut 4 Pockets on fold of fabric.
- Cut one waistband from interfacing then trim 1" from the width to measure 3" wide.
In assembling the pieces as shown below, stitch all seams with right sides of fabric facing and following 1/2" seam allowance.
- For the apron body, turn under and press 1/2" to wrong side of fabric along long top edge of Hem Band. With right side of Band fabric, facing wrong side of Body fabric, pin and stitch Band to Body along lower edge. See figure below.
- Press seam open, then turn Band to right side. Press Band flat along seam and top stitch Band to Body along both top and bottom edges. See figure below.
- On each side edge of Body, turn under 1" to wrong side of apron and press. Tuck in cut edge to meet the crease and press to create a 1/2" double side hem. Top stitch hem in place along inside fold. See figure below.
- To make one pocket, with right sides facing, pin and stitch two Pocket pieces together along all edges, pivoting sharp turns at corners and leaving a 2" to 3" opening along one side edge. Trim all seams to 1/4". Trim corners close to stitching. Clip seam allowance to stitching along inside curves and notch seam allowance to stitching along outside curves. See figure below.
- Turn pocket to right side. Slip stitch, glue or fuse opening closed. Press pocket flat. Repeat for second pocket.
- Center and position completed pockets flat on Apron Body, placing top edges of Pocket 5" from top edge of Body and allowing 8" between side edges. Using only a few pins, pin Pocket to Body and upper and lower edges of curves only. Do not stitch yet. See figure below.
- To allow for a fuller Pocket, re-position top edges of Pocket, moving each to the center, measuring approximately 4" between inside edges. Continue pinning top and outside edges of Pocket. Topstitch, securing a backstitch at top edges. See figure below.
- Apply interfacing to wrong side of one long edge of waistband by basting or fusing. Join tie ends to each side of waistband and press seam open. With right sides facing, fold tie-ends in half and pin, matching cut edges. Stitch short ends and long edge of ties ending one to 2" from waistband seams. See figure below.
- Clip corners and trim seams of tie-ends. Press seams open and turn ties to right side. Press flat. Set this waistband/tie assembly aside.
- For the Ruffle, with right sides facing, fold ruffle in half lengthwise and stitch together each short end. Clip corners, trim seam and turn to right side. Press ruffle in half lengthwise.
- Set sewing machine to a long basting stitch. Measuring 1/4" from long cut edges, stitch a row of gathering stitches leaving thread tails long at each end. Pull bobbin threads gently at each end to gather fabric. See figure below.
- To complete the assembly, first distribute the fullness evenly and, using plenty of pins, pin ruffle to right side of waistband, (at interfaced edge) between side seams. Baste ruffle to waistband 3/8" from cut edge. See figure below.
- To complete the Apron Body, once again, set sewing machine to a long basting stitch. Measuring 1/4" from long cut edge at apron top, stitch a row of gathering stitches leaving thread tails long at each end. Pull bobbin threads gently at each end to gather fabric.
- Distributing fullness evenly and using plenty of pins, pin Body to right side of Waistband, between side seams with ruffle sandwiched between them. Stitch Body to waistband 1/2" from cut edge. See figure below.
- Grade seam allowances of Body, Ruffle and Waistband by trimming to varying widths. Turn under 1/2" on remaining long edge of waistband and slipstitch fold to seam.