Stonehill Project Tote
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Stonehill Collection fabrics:
- Fabric A, 1 yd
- Fabric B, 1-1/2 yds
- Fabric C, 3/4 yd
- Fabric D, 1-1/2 yds
- 3 yds Piping, 1/2" width
- 3 yds Fusible interfacing
- 18-1/2"x4" Piece of cardboard or plastic
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Cut two pieces 19-1/2"W x 15-1/2"H of fabric A and fusible interfacing.
- Cut one piece 5"W x 501/2"L of fabric B and fusible interfacing.
- Cut four pieces 2-1/2"W x 25"L of fabric C.
- Cut two pieces 2-1/2"W x 25"L of fusible interfacing.
- Cut two lengths of piping 501/2"
- Of lining fabric D, cut two pieces 19-1/2"W x 15-1/2"H and one piece 5"W x 501/2"L.
- Fuse interfacing to two strap pieces (fabric C) and both pieces (fabric A) and (fabric B) following manufacturer's instructions.
- Pin piping to right side of front and back (fabric A) at sides and bottom making sure raw edges are even. Stitch in place using zipper foot.
- Pin side and bottom panel (fabric B) to front (fabric A) at sides and bottom, right sides together and raw edges even. Stitch using 3/8" seam allowance. Pivot at corners.
- Repeat step 12 for back (fabric A).
- Turn bag right side out. Press seams.
- With right sides together, pin one strap piece (fabric C) with interfacing to one strap piece without interfacing. Stitch pieces together using a 1/2" seam allowance. LEAVE A 5" OPENING on one long side of strap. Trim corners and turn strap right side out through opening. Press. Edge stitch all sides of strap.
- Repeat step 15 for second strap.
- To construct lining, with right sides together, pin side and bottom panel (fabric D, 5"x501/2") to inside front (fabric D, 19-1/2"x15-1/2"). Stitch using a 1/2" seam allowance.
- Repeat step 17 for inside back (fabric D), but leave a 10" opening at bottom of lining.
- With right sides together and matching seams, pin lining to outer bag at top. Stitch using a 1/2" seam allowance. Set aside.
- Cut a piece of cardboard or plastic 3-1/2"x18-1/2". Insert into bottom of bag.
- Turn lining to inside through 10" opening. Press top edge so that lining does not show on the outside. Edge stitch top edge of bag.
- Pull out lining enough to stitch 10" opening closed.
- Lay bag flat. On outside of bag, pin one end of strap 4-3/4" away from piping. Strap should overlap 4" onto bag. Pin second end of strap 4-3/4" away from opposite piping. Again, strap should overlap 4" onto bag.
- Topstitch strap onto bag through all layers. Follow edge stitching on strap as guide. Stitch across top edge of strap. Reinforce at top edge by stitching again.
- Repeat steps 23 and 24 for other side of bag.