SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 yd light to midweight cotton fabric
- 1 yd 1/2" wide elastic
- 1 spool coordinating thread
- Scissors or rotary cutter and mat
- French curve
- Basic sewing supplies
- Iron & ironing surface
- Sewing machine
All seam allowances 1/2".
Sizing: for size Medium
FRONT: Cut 1 piece 21"x29" (wxl)
BACK: Cut 1 piece 21"x28" (wxl)
BELT: 5"x36". Belt measurements are for all sizes.
Optional – For more room at hip and hem, add 1"-2" to bottom edge of front and back. Draw diagonal line from top to new bottom measurement.
For size 32 bust, grade down 2" in width and 1" in length.
For size 34 bust, grade down 1" in width and 1/2" in length.
For size 38 bust, grade up 1" in width and 1/2" in length.
For size 40 bust, grade up 2" in width and 1" in length .
1. Cut front and back following measurements and guidelines listed above.
2. Cut out belt.
3. To shape the front piece at top, measure down 1" from top at sides and make a mark.
4. Make a mark at the center front at top.
5. Using a french curve, draw a curved line from mark at side to the mark at center. Trim the fabric above curve.
6. With right sides together, stitch the side seams to within 6" of the bottom edge. Backstitch. Clip the seam allowance at the end of stitching up to the stitching but not through it. Press seams open below cut.
7. To create side slits, turn the seam allowance to the inside. Make a narrow 1/4" double-fold hem. Topstitch in place.
8. Hem bottom edge with a 5/8" double hem.
9. Trim off 1/8" of seam allowance at side seams. Zigzag stitch together to finish.
10. To make the casing at top, place the elastic around chest above bust and under arms. Stretch it slightly until it feels comfortable. Add 2" to the measurement and cut.
11. Press top raw edge of tunic under 1/4" and another 3/4".
12. Topstitch close to the inside fold of casing. Leave a 1½" opening.
13. Thread elastic through casing using a safety pin. Overlap the ends 1" and stitch together to secure. Stitch opening closed.
14. For belt, fold in half lengthwise with right sides together and raw edges even.
15. Stitch along all edges, leaving a 5" opening for turning.
16. Trim corners and seams. Turn right side out and press.
17. Edge stitch along all sides.