SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
Style in An Instant 30" shirred fabric measure chest or bust at the fullest point and subtract 2" to determine the
amount needed in inches
1/4 or 1/2 yd of coordinated fabric for pouf hem measure the hem circumference to determine how much is
One yd 1/4" wide elastic for pouf hem
3/4 yd grosgrain ribbon for straps
3/4 yd jumbo rick rack for straps
3 yds grosgrain ribbon for bow belt
Velcro sew-on coin set for belt
2 medium buttons for straps
1 large button for belt
Thread to match dress and rick rack
Basic sewing supplies
1. Dress: Straighten both cut edges of shirred fabric before beginning.
2. With right sides together, pin the elasticized section of the shirred fabric together along the raw edges. At the top,
match the small ruffled edge. Also, match each elasticized row where they meet. Match any printed designs or
borders where possible.
3. Pin the raw edges of the skirt section together from the base borders where possible.
4. Straight stitch this center back seam using a 1/2" seam allowance. Make a second row of stitching 1/4" from the
raw edges so the seam is prevented from curling. Serge or use a zigzag stitch to finish the raw edges.
5. Straps: Using a narrow zigzag stitch, sew the rick rack to the center of the ribbon. Press flat and cut into two strap
pieces. Try the dress on and pin the straps in place as desired. Adjust the length and tuck the raw ends to the
inside. Stitch the straps as pinned from the right side and trim off the excess. Tip: Topstitch along two of the elastic
rows for added strength. Place button on outside front at base of straps. Stitch in place.
6. Hem: Adjust the dress length evenly as desired. Measure the skirt hem circumference. Cut 6" wide fabric strips
from the coordinated fabric. Cut and seam them into a facing that equals the hem circumference. With right sides
together, stitch the hem facing to the skirt hem edge using a 1" seam allowance. Press the seam towards the top
8. Belt: Fold the ribbon into a double bow, forming two 3" loops on each side of the center. Tack them in place at
of the dress. Stitch a casing for the elastic 5/8" from the seam. Leave a 1" opening to insert the elastic. Using a
the center point. Cut a 2" piece of ribbon for the knot. Wrap the knot piece snugly around the bow at the tacked
safety pin, insert the elastic through the entire casing. Stitch the elastic ends together and adjust the hem gathers
center. Tack and trim off any excess. Measure for the band location of the belt and add 3". Cut a piece of ribbon,
evenly. Hand or machine sew the facing edge to the inside of the dress.
press under one end and stitch one side of the Velcro coin set in place. Stitch this to the bow knot so the Velcro
is exposed on the back side. Try the belt on and mark the length and position for the adjoining Velcro coin. Press
under the ribbon end and stitch Velcro coin in place. Glue or stitch the button at the center of the bow.
7. Turn right sides out and adjust gathers at hem to form pouf.
Create by Fabric Traditions