Succulent Topped Cake
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Wilton® food-crafting supplies
- Ready-To-Use Gum Paste (4 oz. used)
- Moss Green Icing Color
- Roll-N-Cut Mat
- 9" Fondant Roller
- Succulents Gum Paste Cutters Cut-Outs
- Storage Board
- 10-Pc. Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set
- Fondant Shaping Foam Set
- 2-Pc. Flower Shaping Bowls
- 6-Pc. Flower Shaping Bowls
- Flower Drying Rack
- 5-Pc. Decorating Brush Set
- Color Dust Edible Accents: Deep Pink, Lime Green
- Round Double Cut-Outs Set
- Gum Glue Adhesive Recipe
- 6"x2" Round Pan
- 10"x16" Cooling Grid
- Cake Leveler
- White Ready-To-Use Decorator Icing — 4.5 lb. Tub
- 6" Cake Circles
- 9" Angled Spatula
- Plastic ruler
- Paper napkins
- Favorite cake recipe or mix (4-1/2 cups batter used)
1. Make plant at least 2 days in advance. Tint gum paste moss green. Use 9" fondant roller with purple guide rings to roll out gum paste 1/8" thick. Use “G” cut-out from set to cut 15 leaves for three outer rows. Store under storage board flap until needed. Use large ball tool from set to slightly thin edges and center of each leaf on thin shaping foam dusted with cornstarch.
Use knife to trim 1/4" from bottom end (without point) and taper in 1/8" on each side. Thin edges and center as above. Allow to dry 24 hours on cornstarch-dusted flower former bowls, placing larger leaves in large shaping bowls and smaller leaves in small shaping bowls.
Use “A” cut-out from set to cut one flower shape. Use knife to trim off petals for four small center leaves. Thin edges as above. Allow to dry 24 hours in small section of wave flower former on drying rack.
2. Assemble plant 1 day in advance. Use brush to brush outer edges of leaves with deep pink Color Dust edible accents and centers of leaves with lime green Color Dust edible accents.
Use 9" fondant roller with purple guide rings to roll out reserved green fondant 1/8” thick. Use straight edge of round cut-out “D” to cut a circle for plant base. Place base in large flower shaping bowls.
Prepare gum glue adhesive following recipe directions. Use brush and gum glue adhesive to attach six leaves to base for outer row. Attach five leaves for next row, supporting leaves with a small piece of green fondant and crumpled paper napkins. Attach four trimmed leaves for next row, supporting as above. Attach center buds. Allow to dry 24 hours.
3. Make cake. Prepare batter following recipe directions. Bake and cool two 6" cake layers. Prepare, fill and stack cakes on cake circle, for 2-layer cake, 4" high.
4. Decorate cake. Use spatula and icing to ice cake approximately 3/8" thick. On cake top, draw a curve with spatula from one edge to opposite edge to create textured effect. You will use the two end points as a guide for texture lines on cake sides. For cake sides, draw a curve with spatula, moving from one end point to the other. Repeat, gradually moving spatula just below previous groove of icing, to bottom of cake. Position succulent on top of cake near edge of cake. Use additional icing if needed to secure.