Sunfold Printed Pillow
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Lumi® Sunfold™ Printing Kit
- 2/3 yd 100% cotton or linen fabric
- Foam core, cardboard or plastic work surface
- Bucket or bowl
- 18" square pillow form
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Rotary cutter, mat & grid ruler
- Washing machine & dryer
1. Find a workspace away from direct sunlight. A dim place inside a garage or basement, laundry room, or even under the shade of a tent in a park.
2. Put on the gloves included in the Lumi Sunfold Printing Kit. Submerge the cotton or linen fabric in Inkodye®.
3. Once fabric is fully saturated with Inkodye, wring it out.
4. While still in a dim or shaded area, flatten out fabric on a large piece of cardboard, foam core or plastic.
5. Twist, fold, scrunch & shape the fabric. Remember, any dye the sun touches will turn to color, any dye hidden in a fold will remain the original color of the fabric.
6. Take the folded fabric outside & let the sunlight develop Inkodye® color. At noon on a sunny day the print should develop in 12 minutes. If it’s cloudy it may take over 20–30 minutes to fully develop.
7. Take the project back inside, away from direct sunlight or UV & peel the folds apart to reveal the Sunfold!
8. Using the Inkowash™ detergent included in the kit, machine wash the prints on the HOT/COLD cycle of the washing machine. For best results, wash prints TWICE using Inkowash.
9. Tumble-dry the Sunfold print.
10. Cut fabric: one 191?2"x191?2" front piece, one 191?2"x151?2" back piece & one 191?2"x111?2" back piece.
11. Fold over 1/2" to wrong side on one wide edge of each back piece.
12. Lay front piece right side up
13. Lay the largest back piece right side down on the front piece with 3 raw edges matching. Lay the smaller back piece right side down with 3 raw edges matching. Pin around edges. Sew all pieces together around the edge using a 5/8" seam allowance.
14. Clip corners & turn right side out. Insert pillow form.