Sunny Blossom Mini Cakes
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Wilton® foodcrafting supplies: White Ready-To-Use rolled fondant Icing Colors: Leaf Green, Lemon Yellow, Creamy Peach, Rose Gum-Tex Roll-N-Cut mat 9" fondant roller Gum Paste Flower cutter set Fondant shaping foam set 10-Pc. fondant/gum paste tool set Brush set Flower forming cups Leaf Cut-Outs fondant cutters Yellow colored sugar 6" lollipop sticks Thinned fondant adhesive recipe Recipe Right 9"x13" sheet pan Recipe Right 10"x16" cooling grid White decorator icing 9" angled spatula Fondant smoother
- Firm-textured cake, such as pound cake
- Plastic ruler
1. One day in advance, make flowers. For each flower, tint a 1-1/2" ball of fondant yellow, peach or rose; reserve remaining white fondant. Knead in 1/8 teaspoon of Gum-Tex. Use fondant roller with pink guide rings to roll out 1/16" thick. Use medium daisy cutter to cut two daisies for each flower. Place daisies on thin foam dusted with cornstarch. Use large dog bone tool from set to shape petals, lightly pressing with tool from tip to center of petals. Turn daisies over and move to thick foam. Use brush to brush center of first daisy with water. Position second daisy on top of first, positioning so petals are staggered. Use large ball tool from set to cup center. Allow to dry 8 hours or overnight in flower forming cup dusted with cornstarch.
2. Also in advance, make leaves. For leaves, tint remaining white fondant green and knead in 1/8 teaspoon Gum-Tex. Use fondant roller with pink guide rings to roll out 1/16" thick. Use medium leaf Cut-Out to cut out one leaf for each flower. Reserve remaining fondant. Place on thin foam. Use small veining tool to imprint center vein. Pinch bottom of leaf slightly to shape and place in flower forming cup. Allow to dry 4 hours.
3. Also in advance, attach flower centers. For centers, roll a 3/8" ball of remaining yellow fondant and flatten slightly. Use brush to brush top with water and dip in yellow sugar. Use water to attach to inside flower. Allow to dry 4 hours.
4. Also in advance, attach lollipop sticks Use scissors to trim lollipop sticks to 5", and use thinned fondant adhesive to attach flower and leaf. Allow to dry 4 hours.
5. Bake mini cakes. Prepare firm-textured batter, such as pound cake. Bake sheet cake and use knife to trim to 1-1/2" high, if necessary. Use knife to cut into 2" squares. Use spatula and decorator icing to ice mini cakes lightly to prepare them for rolled fondant. Use fondant roller with pink guide rings to roll out green fondant 1/16" thick, cover cakes and smooth with fondant smoother. Reserve green fondant.
6. Finish mini cakes. For grass, use fondant roller with pink guide rings to roll out remaining green fondant 1/16" thick. Cut strip 2"x8" for top layer. Use scissors to cut triangle-shaped blades on edge. Brush strips with water and attach to cake sides. Repeat for bottom layer using a strip, 1"x8". Insert flower into cake.