Surprise Filled Pinata Cake
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Nordic WareÂ® Pinata Cake Pan
- Recipe & supplies noted on packaging
- Serving plate
- Offset spatula
- Frosting in desired colors
- Desired filling
1. Bake 2 Pinata cake halves according to instructions provided on Pinata Cake Pan packaging. It is recommended to use the recipe included on the packaging or a dense pound-cake style mix or recipe to ensure that cake holds its shape.
2. After cakes have cooled fully, place one half of Pinata cake onto the plate or cake stand you intend to serve it on. Fill hollow cavity with preferred filling--loose candy, ice cream, tinted frosting, fresh fruit, marshmallow creme, etc. Be sure to mound the filling up in the center so it sticks up well above the edges of the cake.
3. Using an offset spatula, spread a thick layer of frosting around the top surface of the bottom cake layer. This will act as a "glue" to hold the top half to the bottom half once assembled. Place top half onto bottom half, effectively sealing the surprise filling inside.
4. Frost exterior of cake as desired, using offset spatula for best results. Sprinkles make a great final addition to the exterior.
Some decorating ideas include pastel blue or pink colored frosting or candy interior for a baby shower "reveal" cake, sports ball decorated exteriors (basketball, baseball, soccer ball, tennis ball, etc.), mixed candy corn and pumpkins inside an orange pumpkin-themed cake, fresh fruit inside of a whipped-cream frosted cake, or assorted colorful candies inside a white-frosted cake for an elegant birthday or celebration cake.