Swirling Stars Quilt
Finished Size: Small - 30” x 36”
Large - 42” x 48”
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Land of Whimzie® Giraffi flannel Strips:
- Small Quilt: 1pkg
- Large Quilt: 2 pkgs
- Land of Whimzie® Giraffi flannel fabrics:
- Small Quilt: 1-1/4 yds Turquoise Giraffe Print
- Large Quilt: 2-3/4 yds Turquoise Giraffe Print
- Low-loft batting:
- Small Quilt: 34” x 40”
- Large Quilt: 46” x 52”
- Rotary cutter & mat
- Acrylic ruler
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not prewash fabrics. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Use a 1/4” seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Press seams in direction of arrows.
Multi Scallop strips: 2-1/2” x 6-1/2” (Small-15. Large-28, two will be extra)
White Tossed Giraffe strips: 2-1/2” x 6-1/2” (Small-15. Large-28, two will be extra)
Dk. Gray Dot, Citron Chevron, Gray Birds and Turq Giraffe Print strips: 10 from each strip using angle template.To print the template, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above).
(Small - 30 total from each print. Large - 60 total from each print, four will be extra).
Turq. Giraffe Print:
1 - 34” x 40” (Backing)
4 – 2-1/2” x 42” (Binding)
1 - 40” x 50” (Backing)
2- 15-1/2” x 25-1/4” (Backing)
5- 2-1/2” x 42” (Binding)
- Angle strips: Position one Dk. Gray Dot and one Citron Chevron angle piece as shown in Diagram B. Pin and sew diagonal ends RST so the seam starts and stops 1/4” from the angle ends. Sew carefully so the bias edges do not stretch. Trim the triangle tips; press the seam open. The finished angle strip should measure 2-1/2” x 6-1/2”.
- Block A: Place one White Tossed Giraffes strip between one Dk. Gray Dot/Citron Chevron angle strip and one Gray Birds/Turq. Giraffe Print strip as shown in Diagram C. Pin and sew, RST, on the long edges; press towards the center strip. Block A should measure 6-1/2” square.
- Block B: Place a Multi Scallop strip between the two angle strips as done in Step 2 and sew Block B.
- Small Quilt: Position three Block As and two Block Bs as shown in Row 1. Pin and sew RST; press towards the vertical Blocks. The row should measure 6-1/2” x 30-1/2”. Position the remaining blocks as shown for Rows 2-6, pin; sew; press.
- Pin the rows together, matching seams; sew and press.
- Small quilt: Press finished quilt top and backing fabric. Tape backing, wrong side up to a firm surface. Layer batting and quilt top (right side up). Baste the layers together with safety pins. Suggested quilting: start at the center; quilt “in-the-ditch” (along the seams) or quilt as desired. Quilting with an even-feed foot is recommended when sewing through layers of fabric.
- Large quilt: Sew the two backing pieces (15-1/2” x 25-1/4”) RST on the short edges and sew to the long edge of the 40”x50” backing piece to make backing piece 50” x 54-1/2”. Press well with seams open, layer, baste and quilt as in the Small quilt.
- Square up corners and edges, trimming excess backing and batting even with the quilt top.
- Remove selvages and sew the short ends of the binding strips (2-1/2” x 42”) RST at a 45? angle to make one continuous strip; trim seam allowance to 1/4”; press seams open. Press one short end ¼” to the wrong side. Fold in half lengthwise with wrong sides together; press. Leaving a 2” tail on the folded end, place cut edges of folded binding even with the edge of the quilt top and sew, mitering the corners. Overlap ends, trim any excess and finish sewing the binding. Fold binding over to back and hand stitch.
Make 30 strips for the small quilt.
Make 56 strips for the large quilt.
Repeat for the Gray Birds and Turq. Giraffe Print angle pieces.
Make 15 for the small quilt.
Make 28 for the large quilt.
Large Quilt: Refer to Diagram E to sew seven blocks RST, alternating A (vertical) and B (horizontal) blocks, to make each row 6-1/2” x 42-1/2”. Make eight rows.
The small quilt top should measure 30-1/2” x 36-1/2”.
The large quilt top should measure 42-1/2” x 48-1/2”.
Items in This Collection
Item # 14173678
Available for U.S. Shipping Only