Swirling Stars Quilt
Finished Size: Small - 30” x 36”
Large - 42” x 48”
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Land of Whimzie® Giraffi flannel Strips:
- Small Quilt: 1pkg
- Large Quilt: 2 pkgs
- Land of Whimzie® Giraffi flannel fabrics:
- Small Quilt: 1-1/4 yds Turquoise Giraffe Print
- Large Quilt: 2-3/4 yds Turquoise Giraffe Print
- Low-loft batting:
- Small Quilt: 34” x 40”
- Large Quilt: 46” x 52”
- Rotary cutter & mat
- Acrylic ruler
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not prewash fabrics. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Use a 1/4” seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Press seams in direction of arrows.
Multi Scallop strips: 2-1/2” x 6-1/2” (Small-15. Large-28, two will be extra)
White Tossed Giraffe strips: 2-1/2” x 6-1/2” (Small-15. Large-28, two will be extra)
Dk. Gray Dot, Citron Chevron, Gray Birds and Turq Giraffe Print strips: 10 from each strip using angle template.To print the template, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above).
(Small - 30 total from each print. Large - 60 total from each print, four will be extra).
Turq. Giraffe Print:
1 - 34” x 40” (Backing)
4 – 2-1/2” x 42” (Binding)
1 - 40” x 50” (Backing)
2- 15-1/2” x 25-1/4” (Backing)
5- 2-1/2” x 42” (Binding)
- Angle strips: Position one Dk. Gray Dot and one Citron Chevron angle piece as shown in Diagram B. Pin and sew diagonal ends RST so the seam starts and stops 1/4” from the angle ends. Sew carefully so the bias edges do not stretch. Trim the triangle tips; press the seam open. The finished angle strip should measure 2-1/2” x 6-1/2”.
- Block A: Place one White Tossed Giraffes strip between one Dk. Gray Dot/Citron Chevron angle strip and one Gray Birds/Turq. Giraffe Print strip as shown in Diagram C. Pin and sew, RST, on the long edges; press towards the center strip. Block A should measure 6-1/2” square.
- Block B: Place a Multi Scallop strip between the two angle strips as done in Step 2 and sew Block B.
- Small Quilt: Position three Block As and two Block Bs as shown in Row 1. Pin and sew RST; press towards the vertical Blocks. The row should measure 6-1/2” x 30-1/2”. Position the remaining blocks as shown for Rows 2-6, pin; sew; press.
- Pin the rows together, matching seams; sew and press.
- Small quilt: Press finished quilt top and backing fabric. Tape backing, wrong side up to a firm surface. Layer batting and quilt top (right side up). Baste the layers together with safety pins. Suggested quilting: start at the center; quilt “in-the-ditch” (along the seams) or quilt as desired. Quilting with an even-feed foot is recommended when sewing through layers of fabric.
- Large quilt: Sew the two backing pieces (15-1/2” x 25-1/4”) RST on the short edges and sew to the long edge of the 40”x50” backing piece to make backing piece 50” x 54-1/2”. Press well with seams open, layer, baste and quilt as in the Small quilt.
- Square up corners and edges, trimming excess backing and batting even with the quilt top.
- Remove selvages and sew the short ends of the binding strips (2-1/2” x 42”) RST at a 45? angle to make one continuous strip; trim seam allowance to 1/4”; press seams open. Press one short end ¼” to the wrong side. Fold in half lengthwise with wrong sides together; press. Leaving a 2” tail on the folded end, place cut edges of folded binding even with the edge of the quilt top and sew, mitering the corners. Overlap ends, trim any excess and finish sewing the binding. Fold binding over to back and hand stitch.
Make 30 strips for the small quilt.
Make 56 strips for the large quilt.
Repeat for the Gray Birds and Turq. Giraffe Print angle pieces.
Make 15 for the small quilt.
Make 28 for the large quilt.
Large Quilt: Refer to Diagram E to sew seven blocks RST, alternating A (vertical) and B (horizontal) blocks, to make each row 6-1/2” x 42-1/2”. Make eight rows.
The small quilt top should measure 30-1/2” x 36-1/2”.
The large quilt top should measure 42-1/2” x 48-1/2”.
Swirling Stars Quilt is rated out of 5 by 17.
Rated 1 out of 5 by lrheaj from Incorrect Template The template does not work and Kathy's review is correct. Your template will need to be 2.5" wide with the left (long) side measuring 4.75" long and the right (short) side measuring 2.25" long. 4.75" + 2.25" = 7". Once you sew these together with a 1/4" seam, your finished angle piece will measure 2.5" by 6.5". Then you will be able to make the 6.5" squares. This was very frustrating to me. I would only recommend this to a friend because it is a cute pattern and I figured out how to correct it so they would be able to make it without frustration.
Date published: 2015-08-26
Rated 4 out of 5 by Tnpuls from Great wuilt but WATCH OUT! I was really looking forward to this project and it turned out great. HOWEVER watch the pattern they tell you to print. The measurements are wrong on the right side. It's actually 2 3/8. Glad I caught it before I started cutting.
Date published: 2015-06-09
Rated 1 out of 5 by going cautiously from template trouble I bought material for Swirling Stars baby quilt, this weekend. I went to cut out the strips of fabric, but the template didn't work out right. Luckily, I used cardboard first not fabric. I think I have figured it out. I will make a trial square now before cutting.
Date published: 2015-07-06
Rated 3 out of 5 by AnnaCA from Love the pattern, hate the directions! If you have access to a copier an easy fix for the incorrect template dimensions is to print the PDF and copy it at 79% ratio... This gets really close to perfect... When I did this I got right on the 6.5" inch length needed.
Date published: 2016-01-26
Rated 3 out of 5 by cindy from cute quilt for gender neutral I read all reviews before starting. I alwas pre wash flannel due to the shrinkage so I am nervous not to prewash. As for the template, I do not know what all the reviews are about since I cut out the innermost piece of the template and you strips are 2 1/2 in. So I cut 2 out and matched them together on the strip, cut out on the diagonal, repeat and I get 11 on one strip. The measurements are wrong how? I wish for more explanation since what I did appears correct
Date published: 2015-08-25
Rated 1 out of 5 by paisley from Frustrating The template download is incorrect, thanks to the other comments I was able to figure out the correct measurement. Joann needs to have better quality control on their products. Template needs to be 2 1/4 short side and 4 3/4 long side.
Date published: 2016-02-22
Rated 3 out of 5 by Kathy from cute project You really do have to e experienced enough to know how to make the pattern the right size. Instructions don't match the size of pattern. Just trimmed off the right edge to make it 2.5 inches and the bottom to make a 6.5 inch total . I think I trimmed 1/4 in or so. Long edge plus opposite side must equal 7 inches. After I figured theta out it was Ok.
Date published: 2015-08-17
Rated 4 out of 5 by Steph from Hard work but beautiful quilt! I bought this thinking it would be easy, since I have never made a quilt. I was NOT easy, but it turned our really well! I had bought two packages of the material strips thinking I would make the the large size, but after cutting some the pieces the wrong direction, I'm glad I had the extra strips and the small size is fine. The measurement listed are incorrect on the directions but continually looking at the picture and using a ruler for all my pieces helped a lot.
Date published: 2016-02-07
Items in This Collection
Item # 14173678
Available for U.S. Shipping Only