T-Shirt with Ruffles
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Adult T-shirt (Size L or size to fit)
- Youth T-shirt of matching color (Size M or size to fit)
- Chalk pencil, or disappearing fabric marker
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
1. 1/4” seam allowance
2. Carefully cut off collar along stitching of adult shirt; set shirt aside.
3. Lay medium t-shirt flat with hem even; cut off hem.
4. Cut three 2-1/2” strips the width of shirt.
5. Cut three 1-1/2” strips the width of shirt.
6. Cut the 2-1/2” strips into 6 pieces (approx. 2-1/2” x 16”).
7. Cut the 1-1/2´strips into three pieces (approx. 1-1/2” x 32”).
8. Sew the 1-1/2” strips edges together into a big loop.
9. Fold in half and mark the center front and back
10. Sew a gathering stitch along the center of the loop.
11. Use chalk or marker to mark 1” down along neck edge of t-shirt.
12. Matching center fronts and backs, pull gathers to fit and pin ruffle to t-shirt with edge at marks.
13. Sew ruffle to shirt over gathering stitch.
14. Gather 6 - 2-1/2” strips 1/4” from edge.
15. Pull gathers to approximately 6”.
16. Center first piece under edge of ruffle, sew over gather stitching.
17. Center next five pieces 1/2” under above ruffle and stitch over gather stitching.