Teddy Bear Cake & Favors
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Standup cuddly bear pan set
- Cooling rack
- Brown, black, red-red icing colors
- Decorating tips size 4 and 16
- Disposable decorating bags
- Cake board
- Fanci-Foil wrap
- 24-oz Rolled fondant
- Eco-Occasions bear favor boxes
- Wilton favor candy
- Favorite cake recipe
- Buttercream icing
- 1/2 C Vegetable shortening
- 1/2 C Butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 C Sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 T milk
- Bake and cool bear cake using your favorite cake recipe following pan directions. Trim off paw that is in the bear's mouth.
- Make buttercream icing. Divide icing and tint a small amount black. Tint remainder brown with a little red-red, or use chocolate buttercream icing.
- Shape bear's front legs from fondant and attach to cake with icing, positioning as if holding box.
- Pipe dot eyes, pipe in nose and outline mouth with black icing, using tip 4. Pat down eyes and nose with finger dipped in cornstarch. Outline pads of feet and inside ears with brown icing, using tip 4. Fill in and pat smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch. Cover bear with stars using brown icing and tip 16.
- Assemble favor boxes. Set one aside. Fill remaining boxes with candy. Close boxes and attach bows.
- Cut a 2"x6" rectangular piece of cake board. Insert short end of board into bear's belly under paws where box will be positioned; allow 2" to protrude. Position the unfilled favor box, secure with additional icing.
- Position remaining favor boxes around cake. Serves 12.
- In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Whip again before using. Makes about 3 cups.
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM ICING:
- Add 3/4 cup cocoa powder, or three 1-oz. squares of unsweetened chocolate, melted and 1 to 2 tablespoons milk to buttercream icing. Blend well.