SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Australian Superfine Merino by Cleckheaton 8 ply 2.3oz (65g) balls
- 1 - 1st Color (C1)
- 2 - 2nd Color (C2)
- 1 pair each size 6 (4mm) and size 7 (4.5mm) knitting needles or size needed to give correct gauge.
- yarn needle for sewing seam
- pom pom maker or piece of cardboard
- To Fit Head
- Woman - 22" (56 cm)
- Man - 23" (58 cm)
- 21 sts and 28 rows to 10cm over stockinette st, using larger needles.
- Check your gauge carefully.
- If less sts to 4" (10cm) use smaller needles, if more sts use larger needles.
- NOTE – This Beanie is worked on larger needles and at a looser gauge than usually recommended for this yarn.
- Using size 6 needles and C1, cast on 114 (122) sts.
- 1st row – K2, * P2, K2, rep from * to end.
- 2nd row – P2, * K2, P2, rep from * to end.
- Last 2 rows form rib.
- Work a further 11 rows rib.
- Purl 1 row, inc 8 (0) sts evenly across … 122 sts.
- Change to size 7 needles and C2 for rem.
- BEGIN PATTERN
- 1st row – K1, * P4, K1, rep from * to last st, K1.
- 2nd row – P2, * K4, P1, rep from * to end.
- Rep last 2 rows once.
- 5th row – K1, P1, * K2, P3, rep from * to last 5 sts, K2, P2, K1.
- 6th row – P1, K2, * P2, K3, rep from * to last 4 sts, P2, K1, P1.
- Rep last 2 rows once.
- Last 8 rows form patt for rem.
- Cont in patt until Beanie measures 7.5 (8.5)” [19 (21) cm] from beginning, working last row on wrong side.
- SHAPE CROWN
- 1st row – K1, * P1, K2tog, patt 25, sl 1, K1, psso, rep from * to last st, K1 … 114 sts.
- 2nd row – P1, * P2tog tbl, patt 23, P2tog, K1, rep from * to last st, P1 … 106 sts.
- 3rd row – K1, * P1, K2tog, patt 21, sl 1, K1, psso, rep from * to last st, K1 … 98 sts.
- 4th row – P1, * P2tog tbl, patt 19, P2tog, K1, rep from * to last st, P1 … 90 sts.
- Keeping patt correct, cont dec in every row as before (working 2 sts less between dec) until 18 sts rem.
- Next row – P1, * P3tog, K1, rep from * to last st, P1 … 10 sts.
- Break off yarn, thread end through rem sts, draw up tightly and fasten off securely.
- DO NOT PRESS. Using mattress stitch, join side edges together to form centre back seam. Using C1 and large pom pom maker or two circles of cardboard 5” (12cm) in diameter with a 1.5” (4cm) hole in the center, make a pom pom and attach securely to crown. Sew in ends.
- cont = continue
- dec = decreasing
- inc = increasing
- K = knit
- P = purl
- patt = pattern
- psso = pass slipped stitch over
- rem = remain, remainder, remaining
- rep = repeat
- sl = slip
- st/s = stitch/es
- tbl = through back of loop
- tog = together
Use only the yarn specified. Other yarns are likely to produce different results.?Quantities are approximate as they can vary between knitters.?Check all yarn of the same color is from the same dye lot.