The Classic Self-Portrait
* Light and position your body for comfortable and efficient painting sessions
* Start with a grisaille (monochromatic) canvas before working from the general to the specific
* Confidently block in shapes and relationships between objects
Identify and paint a spectrum of light and shadows
* Train your eye to observe and paint color relationships
* Work one section at a time and learn how to seamlessly blend wet and dry paint
* Incorporate valuable details that bring your portrait to life
What You'll Make
* A value exercise depicting layers of light and shadows surrounding a ball
* A self-portrait consisting of oil paints in a double primary palette (a warm and cool version of each primary, plus white)
What You'll Love
* Capture an accurate and visually rich portrait of yourself
* Learn how to see light, shadow, color and the relationships between objects in an entirely new way
* Apply the techniques from this class in all of your future work
* Interact with your world-class instructor and your classmates on the * * Craftsy platform to discuss questions and critique each other's work
* Enjoy 24-hour lifetime access from your web-enabled device, allowing you to take the class on your schedule
Named as one of American Artist Magazine's "25 Artists of Tomorrow" in 2012, Kerry Dunn is a representational oil painter and traditional oil painting teacher in Philadelphia, PA. Dunn approaches teaching with a focus on the core principles of drawing and painting. His work is featured in various galleries across the country and frequently consists of portraits, sill life, figure and plein air works.
Materials: What you Need
Lesson Plan: What you Learn
Meet Kerry Dunn and learn how to set up your tools and studio for a comfortable and efficient work station.
Develop an underpainting with Kerry's expert tips as you learn to establish lines, angles, shapes and major shadows.
Explore varying layers of light and shadow in an elegantly simple exercise that you'll apply to all of your future paintings.
Shed preconceived notions about what you "should" paint and paint what you truly see as you block in light and shadows.
Kerry helps you develop a strong eye for defining value ranges in your portrait, working through challenges as you go.
Rediscover color in an entirely new way as Kerry walks you through theory and various techniques.
Take color a step further as you block in and define your color, working more in-depth with flesh tones, shadows and light.
Continuing to define your painting, working with edges and learn how to re-work areas that have dried.
Approach your portrait with new eyes as you correct, adjust and highlight various areas in a final pass.
Learn how to apply the techniques you've learned to future projects, and gain inspiration on how to bring your portraits to life.