Tie-Dyed Americana Pillow
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 yd. white cotton fabric
- Dylon&® Permanent Fabric Dye: Navy, Tulip Red
- 14" pillow insert (or polyfill)
- 18" pillow insert (or polyfill)
- 2 Wilton&® Mini Squeeze bottles
- Small filter
- Rubber bands
- Dritz&® Sewing Notions:Fabric marker or pencilStraight Pins
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Hot water, salt, bowl, mixing & measuring spoons
1. To create the two pillows, cut two squares that are 14", and two squares that are 18".
2. Pin three sides of the pillow, and stitch together with a 1/4" seam allowance. Stitch 2-3" in from each corner on the fourth side. Leave the middle open to allow stuffing later. Repeat for the second pillow.
NOTE: Leave the fabric turned wrong-side out until the end.
3. To create the ‘swirl' pattern, pinch the fabric where you want the swirl to begin. Now twist the fabric until it resembles a cinnamon bun. Wrap 3-4 rubber bands around the fabric.
4. To create the ‘stripes' pattern, scrunch the fabric horizontally from left to right. Wrap 6 rubber bands along the length of the fabric. Space approximately 2-3/4" apart.
5. With fabric marker, mark the sections that will be dyed red. That's every other one.
6. To prepare dye, dissolve 2 tablespoons of salt in 2 cups of hot water.
7. Using filter, add 3 teaspoons of dye into your squirt bottle, and fill it the rest of way with hot water. Put the cap back on and shake.
8. Squeeze the dye into fabric, and let sit for 30-45 minutes.
9. Rinse in cold water while removing the rubber bands. Wash in warm water.
10. Stuff with insert or polyfill, and stitch closed by hand or machine.