Tiered & Ruffled Skirt
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Simplicity® pattern 2475
- 4 yds Casa Collection® crepe fabric
- Notions: refer to pattern
- Basic sewing supplies
- Rotary cutter, mat & ruler
- Round 10" plate
- Sewing machine
- Iron & ironing surface
- Compass, optional
& yoke together; do not sew the back seam together.
1. TIERS: Cut 10 fabric pieces on the bias 6" x width of hip. Fold in half right side out and press.
2. Mark even rows of 2 3/8" on skirt. Start 2 3/8" from the 5/8" seam allowance at the top of the skirt and work down. This measurement may need to be adjusted for length of skirt. Gently ease & pin bias tiers to markings. Sew tiers 1/2" seam from center back around the front to center back. Hem skirt.
3. To finish the last tier, sew yoke to skirt. Attach tier to the waistline and sew on the facing.
1. RUFFLES: Trace a 10" plate or use compass to draw circle on remaining fabric. Measure out 1 1/2" from the center, forming an inner circle. Make 11 circles and cut them out, saving the donut shapes to make the ruffles.
2. Cut the circle open on one side and sew the circles together end-to-end to form a long, ruffled fabric strip.
3. Sew a narrow hem along the outer edge of the long ruffle strip.
4. Cut the ruffle strips to 5", 6", 8", 9", 11", 13" & 15" lengths. Hem the side edges of each piece.
5. Sew the longest ruffle strip, starting at the bottom of the skirt and 1" toward the back from the side seam. Work left toward the center front.
6. Sew the ruffles at each tier. Work the longer strips at the bottom & the shorter strips upward.
7. At the 4th and 5th tiers from the bottom, start at the side seam, sewing toward the center. The 3rd, 2nd, and 1st tier go in 1" toward the center front. Finish skirt by sewing the back seam and inserting the zipper.