Seam allowance 1/4"
Cut (2) 15”? x 16”? panels from the pizza toss fabric = front and back of the bag.
Cut (1) 15”? x 4-1/2”? panel from the pizza toss fabric = bag bottom.
Cut (1) 15”? x 4-1/2”? panel from the red fabric = bottom lining.
Cut (1) 15”? x 4-1/2”? panel from the stabilizer.
Cut (2) 15”? x 16”? panels from the red fabric for the lining.
Cut (4) 15”? x 3”? strips from the red fabric = casing.
Cut (4) 2-1/2”? x width of fabric from the red - drawstring.
Cut (2) 2-1/2”? x 3”? strips from the red fabric = loops.
Cut (1) 2-1/2”? x 5”? strip from the red fabric = handle.
Cut a 15”? x 7”? panel comic patch fabric= pocket.
1. Fold 1/4" over on the long edge of the pocket and press. Fold again to create a finished edge and stitch in place.
2. Place the pocket (wrong side down) on the front panel (right side up) and baste along both sides and the bottom. Stitch down the center of the pocket to create a divided pocket.
3. Sandwich the bag bottom, lining bottom and stabilizer (15" x 4-1/4") together and press = bottom of bag.
4. Sandwich the front panel (wrong side down) on the batting with lining on bottom. Matching the bottoms of the front panel to the bottom of the bag, stitch in place and press. Repeat for the back panel.
5. Stitch the sides of the front and back panels together from the top of the bag to the bottom together.
6. Fold the bottom of the bag so the fold in the center of it meets with the front and back of the bag and press in place. Cut 2" x 1-1/2" square from each side of the bottom of the folded panel. Cut through both layers of fabric.
7. Create the drawstring by placing 2 of the drawstring strips together along the 2-1/2" sides and press. Fold the length (72)" of the drawstring fabric in half, press, unfold and fold the raw edges into the center, press, fold again, press and stitch in place. Repeat for the other drawstring. Cut the two strips into 64" lengths and use the remainder of strips for the loops and handle.
8. Fold the bottom of the bag so the fold in the center of it meets with the side seams.
9. Place the D ring in one of the loops, fold in half, pin the loop between the layers of fabric with the D ring on the inside of the bag (place the loop close to the end of the opening that will be the back side of the backpack) and stitch in place. Repeat this step for the other side of the backpack. Stitch a second time reinforce this seams.
10. Turn the back pack inside out so the right sides of the fabric are now facing out.
11. Place the handle in the center of the top edge of the back side of the backpack and stitch in place.
12. Create the casing for the drawstring by place two of the strips of fabric together and stitch along one long edge. Press the seam open. Press both ends in 1/2" and stitch close to the fold. Press the long raw edges of the fabric in 1/4" toward the center seam. Fold in half on the seam and press.
13. Pin the casing to the top edge of the bag placing the un-stitched edges 3/8" down from the top edge of the bag. Top stitch along the bottom edge of the drawstring casing and top stitch 1/4" up from that stitch to cover the raw edges of the top of the bag.
14. Thread a 64”? length of drawstring through the drawstring casing. Loop each end around the D ring and stitch to hold. Thread the other drawstring in the opposite direction, loop each around the D ring and stitch to hold. Stitch a second time to reinforce the seams. See illustration below.
SHIPPINGShipping your purchase is easy at JOANN! Orders typically leave our warehouses within 1-3 business days (Mon-Fri). Delivery date depends on the destination address and the shipping method. You’ll receive an email with tracking information when your order is shipped.
RETURNSReturns can be made for FREE in any of our stores.