Toddler's Shapes Book
- June Tailor® Inkjet Printer Fabric
Sheets: washable, colorfast
- 1/4 yd solid color cotton fabrics
- Fat Quarters pre-cut cotton fabrics
- 1 yd medium-wt fusible interfacing
- 1/2 yd Warm & Natural® batting
- 1 yd HeatnBond® Lite adhesive
- 2 yds of 3/8" ribbon
- 12 grommets & setter
- Rotary cutter, straight & decorative
zigzag blade, or scissors
& pinking shears
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Iron & pressing surface
DIRECTIONS: RS = RS(s) WS = Wrong side(s)
1. SHAPE NAMES: Using computer print CIRCLE, SQUARE, HEART, DIAMOND, TRIANGLE on June Tailor® Inkjet Printer Fabric Sheets, in block-style font. TIP: Print on regular paper 1st to gauge proper size & color. Remove backing from fabric sheets & fuse HeatnBond® Lite to back. Cut shape name out with zigzag rotary cutter blade. Set aside.
2. CUTTING: Solid color fabric, cut 2 each: 8"x8", 8"x8 1/2", 8"x9", 8"x9 1/2", 8"x10", 8"x10 1/2" for pages. Interfacing: Cut 1" smaller than each piece of fabric. Warm & Natural® batting, cut: 8"x8", 8"x8 1/2", 8"x9", 8"x9 1/2", 8"x10", 8"x10 1/2". Trim corners. Ribbon, cut six 2" lengths for tabs.
3. For shapes, fuse HeatnBond® Lite adhesive paper to WS of printed fabric. Draw shape onto paper side of HeatnBond® Lite. Cut 1 big shape for each page, plus a few small shapes for name page.
4. Lay cut-out pages and shapes in desired order. Keep pages in matching order.
5. Fuse interfacing to WS of each solid-colored page; center & leave 1/2" around edges.
6. Remove paper. Position large shapes on RS of solid fabrics. Fuse in place. Machine applique shapes with tight zigzag or satin stitch.
7. On opposite page, fuse shape name. Machine applique with straight stitch in coordinating color.
8. Fuse smaller shapes onto name page and machine applique.
9. For tabs, fold each piece of ribbon in half and baste to outside edge of shape page. Measure down 1 1/2" from top of 1st page, 2 1/2" from top of 2nd page, continuing down 1" for each page.
10. Baste Warm & Natural® batting to WS of large shape page. RS together, stitch corresponding page to shape page; leave an opening in left side for turning. Trim Warm & Natural® batting close to stitching. Clip corners; turn RS out.
11. Press page and slip stitch opening closed. Top stitch 1/2" from edges.
12. Follow manufacturer's directions for setting grommets.
13. Cut remaining ribbon in half, thread through grommets. Tie in a bow. Trim.