Tote and Cosmetic Case
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Babyville Boutique™:Sassy Dots PUL - 1 yardCheetah PUL - two pieces 3-3/4"x17-1/2"Bright Pink PUL - two pieces 3-3/4"x17-1/2"Snap Set - Sweet Girl Snap, PinkSnap Pliers
- Omnigrid® ruler - 6"x24"
- Dritz® Ball Point Pins
- Heavyweight sew-in interfacing - 1 yard
- Polyester thread
- Sewing machine
- Iron and pressing surface
- Pressing cloth
- Basic sewing supplies
- Rotary cutter & mat
- Marking pen
1. From Sassy Dots PUL cut two 12"x17-1/2" pieces for the front and back bag panels and two 3-1/2"x20" pieces for the straps.
2. For front striped bag top panel, stitch one Bright Pink 3-3/4"x17-1/2" strip to one Sassy Cheetah strip along one long side using 1/2" seam allowance. Repeat for back striped panel.
3. Pin and sew Sassy Dots front panel to Cheetah/Bright Pink front striped panel using 1/2" seam allowance. Repeat for bag back panels.
4. Finger press each seam open on front and back panels, then topstitch 1/4" from each seam line.
5. Cut two pieces of interfacing the same size as pieced back and front bag panels. Pin interfacing to wrong side of each. Baste together 3/8" from edges.
6. Cut Sassy Dots front and back lining pieces same size as pieced front and back panels of bag. Pin lining, fabric sides together at sides and bottom. Sew sides and bottom of lining using a 1/2" seam allowance.
7. Pin bag front and back panels together, then sew sides and bottom of bag with a 1/2" seam allowance. Trim seam to 1/4", then trim corners diagonally.
8. With fabric sides facing (interfacing facing out), bring bag corners to a point, aligning side and center seams. Using ruler, draw a 4" line across corner to create a gusset. Pin, then sew across 4" line. Trim off corner 1/4" from stitching. Repeat at other bottom corner, then repeat process on bag lining corners.
9. For strap, fold fabric sides together to 1-7/8"x20". Sew long side with a 1/2" seam allowance. Trim seam to 1/4", then turn strap right side out. Press strap flat. Topstitch strap 1/4" from edges.
10. Measure 4" over from bag side seam, pin handle to bag with raw edges aligned with top of bag. Measure 4" over from opposite seam and pin other end of handle to bag. Repeat for handles at back panel of bag. Stitch handles to bag 3/8" from edge.
11. For Closure Tab: Cut two pieces of Sassy Dot PUL 3-1/4"x4". With fabric sides facing, pin the two long sides and one short side together. Stitch with a 1/2" seam allowance, rounding the corner when stitching. Trim seam to 1/4", then turn right side out. Topstitch 1/4" from seam. Position tab at back of bag, centering between handles. Align raw edges of tab with top of back. Baste in place.
12. Slide bag into lining, right sides facing. Pin together, then starting at back top at handle, stitch top edges together with a 1/2" seam allowance leaving an opening between the back handles for turning. Backstitch at beginning and end of stitching.
13. Carefully pull bag outside of lining through opening.
14. Topstitch 1/4" from top edge of bag, making sure to stitch opening closed.
15. Optional Ruffle Flower: Cut Sassy Dots PUL 4"x24". Fold in half laminate sides together to 2" wide. Press to fuse laminate together. Roll and gather by hand to create flower. Secure gathers every 1/2" or so. Hand stitch flower to front of bag.