Traditional Urn Arrangement
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Large pedestal urn
- Dry floral foam to fill container
- Greening pins
- Floral Stems:
- Stock (3)
- Large dark peony (3)
- Large light peony (3)
- Lily (2)
- Berry (3)
- Poppy (3)
- Ranunculus (3)
- Wire cutters
- Fill urn with dry floral foam. Cover the foam with moss, securing with greening pins. Place line flowers (stocks) in urn in a symmetrical design. Add mass flowers (peonies) between & around the line flowers. (See photo.) Create depth & shape (mass) of arrangement by cutting flower stems at different lengths. Allow longer pieces to spill over edge of the container.
- Continue building the design with form flowers (lilies & poppies), placing them deep inside the arrangement as well as around the outside. Finish by adding the filler flowers (ranunculus, berries & greenery), cutting apart stems to fill out arrangement.
- Line flowers are tall, thin & line-like. Examples: stock, delphinium and larkspur.
- Mass flowers are full, the bulk of the arrangement. Examples: peony, open rose, carnation, daisy and aster.
- Form flowers have distinct shapes and forms. Examples: iris, lily, poppy and bird of paradise.
- Filler flowers are smaller, add color and texture to open spaces. Examples: mini-flowers and berries.