Treat Bags To Dye For
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- RIT liquid & powder dyes: black, sunshine orange, lemon yellow
- 14"x13-1/2"x3" cotton canvas tote, white
- 12"x12" vinyl plastic template sheets
- Delta Stencil Magic spray adhesive
- Unique Stitch sewing adhesive
- Black felt square
- Measuring cup & stirring spoon
- Rubber gloves
- Spray bottle for spray-dye
- 2 plastic containers or large bowls
- 9"x12" cardboard
- Plastic wrap
- Rubber bands
- Plastic table cover
- Paper towels, newspapers
- Microwave oven
- Cover table with plastic sheet or tablecloth. Keep paper towels at hand.
- NOTE: When preparing dyes, wear rubber gloves, mix well and heat water to at least 140 degrees F.
- SPRAY-DYED GHOSTY BOO BAG
- Create patterns for Ghost and Boo on template sheet. Lay template pieces on paper towels; apply spray adhesive to back sides. Position on bag and press down firmly.
- Prepare Rit Dye: Mix 1 box black powder dye with 2 cups very hot water. Pour into plastic spray bottle.
- Insert cardboard into bag. Place bag on several layers of paper towels or newspaper. Cover bag handles and top edge with paper towels.
- Spray black dye randomly around templates, covering entire front and bottom of bag. Turn bag over. Cover handles and top edge of bag with paper towels and spray randomly with black dye.
- Remove paper towels & plastic templates. Do not remove cardboard. Wrap bag in plastic wrap; seal edges. Fold to fit into microwave oven.
- Cover bottom of microwave oven with paper towels. Microwave plastic-wrapped bag in oven on HIGH for 2 minutes; remove carefully -- item will be hot. Cut open plastic wrap. Allow bag to cool. Remove cardboard.
- Rinse bag under cool running water, holding handles so dye flows through from light to dark areas. Wash in warm water; rinse and dry flat.
- DIP-DYED JACK-O'-LANTERN BAG
- Prepare Rit dye: 1/2 cup lemon yellow liquid with 4 cups very hot water 1 box sunshine orange powder with 4 cups very hot water Pour each dye color into a plastic container or bowl, large enough to dip bag.
- Dip entire bag into yellow dye bath 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and squeeze out excess dye.
- Dip bottom 1/3 of bag into sunshine orange dye bath 2 to 4 minutes. Gradually lift and lower bag to create lighter shades.
- Remove bag and rinse in warm water, then gradually cooler water until water runs clear. Wash in warm water; rinse and dry flat.
- Create pumpkin face from black felt. Glue to 1 side of fully dried bag.
- TIE-DYED FLYING BATS BAG
- Scrunch bag into a ball, beginning at 1 corner. Wrap loosely with rubber bands. Dip wrapped bag into warm water; let set.
- Prepare Rit dye: Mix 1 box of sunshine orange dye with 4 cups very hot water in large glass or plastic bowl.
- Remove tied bag from water and immerse into dye bath. Push down with spoon.
- Cover bottom of microwave oven with paper towels. Microwave container on HIGH for 2 minutes; remove carefully -- item will be hot.
- Remove bag from dye bath. Rinse with cool water; remove rubber bands. Rinse with warm water, then gradually cooler water until water runs clear. Wash in warm water; rinse and dry flat.
- Create small bat patterns from black felt. Glue bats on bag.