SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 yd. each of 5 different quilt cotton print fabrics
- 3 yds. of white cotton fabric
- 5 yds. of backing fabric
- 1/2 yd. of binding fabric or use pieces left from the printed fabrics
- Low-loft batting: twin size
- Rotary cutter, ruler & mat
- Template plastic
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Finished size: 67"x 86"
- Use a 1/4” seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST).
- Make a pattern on the template plastic of a 12” (on a side) equilateral triangle. Using the 12" triangle pattern trace and cut 12 triangles from each print. Cut 59 triangles of the white fabric.
- With RST sew an inverted white triangle (see diagram) to the printed triangle. Continue sewing white to printed to form a straight row of 13 triangles ending with a white triangle. Randomize the printed triangles to get an overall random look. The first and last triangles will be trimmed when squaring the quilt.
- The second row will start and end with printed triangles alternating prints and white.
- Make 9 rows alternating the start of the row with printed triangles or white triangles.
- Sew the rows together being very careful to matching points as you go.
- To make the backing, cut the 4 yds into two 2 yd pieces. Trim selvages and sew the two sections together at the selvage edge to form one piece 72" x 80". Cut the last 1 yd. piece at the fold to form two pieces each 20" x 36". Sew the 20" ends together. Sew this piece to the bottom of the large piece to get 72" x 100".
- Sandwich the backing wrong side up, batting and top together. Baste the layers together.
- Quilt as desired.
- Square up the quilt by trimming edges to within 1/4" of outside triangle joints.
- Cut the binding fabric into 2-1/2" strips. Sew the strips end to end to make one long strip. Press the strip in half with WST to form a long 1 1/4” strip pressing seams as you go. Sew raw edges of binding strip even with the quilt edges on the front side of the quilt, mitering the corners. Overlap ends, trim any excess and finish sewing the binding. Fold binding over to the back and hand stitch.
Items in This Collection
Item # prd10005
Available for U.S. Shipping Only