SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- DCWV® Bewitched 12"x12" printed stack
- DCWV® Glitter stack
- DCWV® cauldron leg template
- Blue Moon Beads®: assorted pendants or beads that coordinate with above paper stack; large black chain, 2 sections of chain
- 12"x12" chipboard sheet *Note: This size may need to change, depending on the size of the balloon or ball
- Large balloon or plastic bowl the size of the inside of the cauldron
- Newspaper sheets
- 3’x3’ section of wood
- Pie tin used for crafting, or like container
- Jewelry wire
- Black craft paint
- 1" foam brush
- Paper crafting adhesive
- Wood glue
- Paper trimmer
- Craft marker
1. You will need to create a paper mache form for the cauldron. To begin, select at least 3 or 4 solid cardstock sheets from the Bewitched cardstock stack. Rip them into long strips, 1" wide.
2. Mix flour and water together in a 1:1 ratio, using pie tin as the container. Once mixed, it should have the consistency of creamy soup.
3. Take the balloon and draw a line around the top 1/3 of the ball—this will mark the line to stop at.
4. Dip the cardstock into the paste, coating both sides with the mixture. *Note: Be sure to remove any excess paste by smoothing it off with thumb and forefinger. Apply the strip to the ball in the desired location, smoothing it into place to create an even surface. Continue with the remaining strips, covering the area on the ball under the line made in Step 3. Set this aside to dry momentarily.
5. Take the chipboard sheet and trace a large circle, as close to 12" across as possible, directly on the sheet. Trace a smaller circle inside the first circle, 1¼" smaller in width than the first. Cut around the outside of the first circle and the inside of the second to create a ring. Using the image as a reference, attach this to the work in progress from Step 4 as the lip of the cauldron. Following the same process in Step 4, cover the outside of the chipboard with cardstock-coated paste to give it a firm hold.
6. Rip the newspaper into several strips, each approximately 1" wide. Repeat the process in Step 4, continually covering the lip of the cauldron as well as the rounded section to give it a thicker exterior. *Note: you will want to add 4-5 additional layers as desired to give the finished product a sturdy exterior, allowing it to dry when finished.
7. Put one last layer on the outside of the cauldron, this time using a set of printed papers from the Bewitched printed stack. Set aside to dry once more, this time until it is completely dry.
8. Once the paper and paste are dry, pop the balloon and remove it from the interior of the newly-formed cauldron.
9. Embellish the cauldron by adding chain around the opening, stringing beads on the side to create a handle, and adding pendants as desired.
1. Print and cut out the DCWV® cauldron leg template. Trace the template 4 times onto the sheet of wood. Trace the round piece onto the wood as well and then cut these out with the saw. Sand around any rough edges.
2. Paint the outside edges of the leg pieces and the entire round section with the black craft paint. Set aside to dry.
3. While the paint is drying, trace the leg template 8 times onto the desired glitter solids from the glitter stack. *Note: Remember to flip the template over as each side is opposite the preceding piece. Cut these out. Once the paint is completely dry, adhere to each side of the leg pieces. Using the image as a reference, adhere the pieces together using wood glue. Set aside to dry.
4. Once the glue is dry on the legs, position the cauldron in the center. *Note: When using at the party, insert an additional bowl in the center of the cauldron to prevent the drink from soaking into the cauldron.