Trick-or-Treat Monster Pots
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- For 1 large & 4 small monsters:
- Terra cotta flower pots, 2 large & 8 small
- 2 Wooden candle cups
- 8 Ball finials, 19/32"x3/4"
- Craft foam sheets:
- 12"x18"black, 9"x12" purple & white -- 1 each
- 14 Silver brads
- 1/2 yd. Purple tulle
- 2 yds. 1/4" Purple ribbon
- Acrylic paints: green, purple, yellow, orange, white, black
- Silver spray paint
- Spray gloss varnish
- 2 Wiggle eyes
- Paint brushes: 11/2" flat, 1/2" flat, small flat, detail
- Round stencil sponges, large & small
- Black fine point marker
- Tacky glue
- X-Acto knife
- Large Monster (see PDF for printable pattern):
- Paint one of the large terra cotta pots green. Apply many coats for good coverage. Let dry.
- Trace on the eyes and nose with a pencil*. Using the large stencil sponge, apply orange cheeks, dabbing repeatedly to make the circle larger. Paint the eyes white and the nose green then outline in black. Draw on the crooked mouth and scar using the detail brush. Paint on heavy angled eyebrows and black eyeballs. When dry, dot on white pupil highlight with the handle end of a paint brush. Add white brush stroke highlights to the nose and cheeks
- On the second pot, paint a white "V", ending the wide portion just underneath the bottom. Apply 2 coats for good coverage; let dry then apply yellow paint over the white. When dry, paint on orange stripes. Paint the remainder of the pot purple. Paint on lapels with the detail brush and black paint.
- Add a yellow flower with the small stencil sponge. Fill in the center, too. When dry, add an orange flower center.
- Add a black spider using the large stencil sponge. Draw legs and web in black. Glue on wiggle eyes.
- Cut 2 strips of black craft foam long enough to wrap around rim with a small overlap. Cut each edge in a jagged pattern as shown. Join the 2 pieces with brads.
- Cut 2 white craft foam hands approximately 3-1/4"Lx3"W*. Cut 2 purple craft foam sleeves 9"Lx2-1/2"W*. Make one end of each sleeve slightly rounded. Cut a 13/4" slit in the non-rounded sleeve ends and insert hand. Secure with brads. Draw or paint scars as shown.
- Spray candle cups silver, let dry then glue to sides of green pot. Glue one "bolt" at a time, laying the pot on its side so it doesn't slide. Repeat for other "bolt." Spray both pots with gloss varnish. When dry, attach arms to purple pot with glue.
- Fill green pot with Halloween treats.
- *Use the included patterns for eyes, nose, hands & sleeves. Small monsters are made the same way. Flowers and spiders are created with the handle end of a brush. Create white pupils with a toothpick.