Finished size: Fits bust 32”- 36”
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Fabric Central® Misciano fabric: 2 yds Multi Large Damask or print of choice
- 1/4 yd mid-weight fusible interfacing
- Removable marker
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Pre-wash and press fabric before cutting pieces. Sew fabrics right sides together (RST) with a 1/2” seam allowance unless otherwise noted. Press seams open unless directed otherwise. Finish edges with zigzag or overlock/serge stitching. Back stitch at beginning and end to secure seams, unless indicated otherwise.
Finished project care:
- Cutting: 2 - 30” x 31” (tunic front and back)
- 2 - 4” x 33” (ties)
4 - 2” x 20” (interfacing)
- Making the armholes: Fold tunic front and back in half RST so long edges meet to find the center and mark on the wrong side of top edge.
- Lay the front on a flat surface wrong side up with the center mark at the top. Measure in 4-1/2” from each side and mark. Measure 9” down each side from the top edge and mark. Draw a diagonal line connecting the marks on each side and cut along the drawn lines. Fold and press 1/4” to the wrong side twice. Sew close to pressed edge to hem the armhole. Repeat for the back.
- Making the neckline: Leaving long thread tails on each end, sew a row of long gathering stitches 1/4” from the top edge and a second row 3/8” from the edge for both the front and back. Note: Do not backstitch.
- Making the ties: Fold ties in half wrong sides together so long edges meet and press fold firmly.
- Open out ties with wrong side up, place long edge of interfacing strip at fold with short ends matching. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse in place. Add a second interfacing piece to the end of the first overlapping ends by 1/4”. Trim excess interfacing even with tie end; fuse. Repeat for second tie.
- Fold ties in half RST so long edges meet, place them on a flat surface end to end with interfaced sides facing up. Mark the neckline center 4-1/2” from the end on each tie.
Trace the tie template and cut out along outside edges. Place it on left tie end; trace and cut on line. Repeat for second tie.
- Leaving ties in same position, mark 1-1/2” from the corner of the bottom edge, then measure and mark 6-1/2” from the 1-1/2” mark. Clip 1/4” into seam allowances at the 6-1/2”marks.
- Sew curved edges together; press seams open. Fold tie in half RST and sew, stopping stitches and backstitching at 6-1/2” neckline marks to leave an opening for turning. Clip corners diagonally and turn ends right side out. Press tie, pressing under the seam allowance on tie opening.
- With RST, match up center marks and edges of neckline with marks on ties, gathering neckline to fit; pin. Sew, turn under edge of tie and pin in place on neckline. Topstitch around the edges of the tie enclosing the neckline and closing the opening.
- With RST, baste the side seams. Try tunic on to check the fit. If alteration is needed, put tunic on inside out and pin to desired fit; baste accordingly. Sew side seams, trim seam allowances to 1/2” if needed and finish seams. Press seams open.
- Finishing: Press bottom edge 1/4” to the wrong side, then again 1” and sew close to edge to hem.
- Wear tunic with the ties in a bow or square knot.
Cold water wash; hang to dry. Press to remove wrinkles.