Tucked Embellished Headband
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/4 yd Fabric of choice
- 1/4 yd Lightweight interfacing
- 3/8" wide Non-roll elastic
- 3 pkgs Jolee's Jewels Crystallized bicone beads, assorted sizes
- 1 yd Cording, 1/8" wide
- 1/2 yd Fabric for cording
- Basic sewing supplies
- From fabric of choice, cut the following pieces: one 3"x width of fabric strip, one 3"x16" rectangle for facing and one 1-1/2"x11" rectangle. From interfacing, cut one 3"x16" rectangle. Trace the included headband pattern onto interfacing.
- With right side up, lay long 3" strip of fabric over the wrong side of the interfacing, matching center of strip with center of interfacing. As noted on pattern, begin making tucks down the length of the fabric, gradually increasing number of tucks and decreasing the size of the tucks. Suggested tuck placement has been noted on the pattern. Depth of the tucks is not critical. Pin tucks in place. Tip: Use a padded surface to hold tucks in place until desired placement is achieved. Trim excess fabric from end of headband, leaving 1/4" for seam allowance.
- Starting on other side of the headband piece, repeat step 2, creating cascading tucks down headband. Trim excess fabric, leaving 1/4" seam allowance.
- Baste headband and interfacing together outside of traced pattern being sure to secure tucks in place.
- Embellish headband with beads and crystals as desired.
- To make covered cording, cut one 11/2"x36" rectangle from cording fabric. Wrap fabric around cording and stitch using a zipper foot. With right sides together and laying cording inside of traced line, stitch covered cording to one long edge of headband, tapering cording ends at end of headband. Repeat for second side of headband.
- With right sides together, pin headband facing rectangle and embellished headband piece. Fold back each narrow end of facing leaving 1/4" of headband for attaching elastic. Stitch along traced pattern line on interfacing, leaving short ends open and leaving a small opening for turning.
- Trim seam allowance to 1/4". Turn and slip stitch turning opening closed. Set aside.
- With right sides together and raw edges even, stitch 1-1/2"x11" rectangle to form a tube. Turn tube and insert elastic. Baste raw edges together being sure to secure the elastic.
- Stitch one end of the covered elastic to the raw edge of the headband. Turn raw edges toward headband and stitch folded facing edge to covered elastic. Repeat for other raw edge.