1 1/2 yd olive green
2 yds white
1 yd light green
1/2 yd light blue
1/8 yd each: red, royal blue
- 2 yds batting
- 3 yds pattern-making material
- 28" Velcro® brand hook-&-loop fastener
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
DIRECTIONS: Refer to photo. RS = Right side(s)
1. Freehand pattern pieces on pattern-making material to sizes indicated & cut out.
2. Fold white fleece to 36"x60". Cut out 2 shell forms.
3. From light green cut four 17 1/2" circles & one 15" circle.
4. From light blue cut four 11 1/2" circles & one 9" circle.
5. From red cut four 4" circles & one 3 1/2" circle.
6. Layer the colors. Position 4 large circles & center smaller circle on shell front. Zigzag stitch around the edges of the circles to secure.
7. Fold olive green fleece in half lengthwise. Cut two head shapes.
8. Cut two 3" circles for eyes & a 1 3/4"x10" smile from royal blue fleece. Applique to face.
9. Cut batting to head shape. Layer batting, head front RS up, head back RS down & batting. Stitch, leaving the neck edge open. Turn & stitch the opening. 5" from the opening, sew hook side of Velcro® fastener to front outside of neck & soft side to the back.
10. From olive fleece cut 8 feet shapes. Sew together in pairs to make 4 feet. Pin the feet to the bottom of the turtle shell.
11. To make a neck opening: Start 4" from shell bottom & going up, sew soft side of 18" piece of Velcro® fastener to front left side of shell. Stitch hook side of Velcro® fastener to back left edge of shell to match up with the front.
12. Position shell sections RS together. Stitch from 1 edge of fastener, around the shell, to the other edge; turn. Topstitch 1" around shell except for fastener opening. Fasten on the head pillow with Velcro® fastener or store inside the throw.