Twin Size Ruffled Duvet Cover
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
· 1 ½ yds each six 42” quilting fabric prints
· 5-1/2 yds 108” wide fabric for backing
· Rotary cutter with wave blade
· Rotary mat and ruler
· 25” Velcro® cut into five 5” pieces
· Sewing machine
· Basic sewing supplies
· Fabric marking pen
· Iron & pressing surface
· Option: Instead of a wavy edge on the ruffles use a standard rotary cutter blade and hem the long and side edges of the ruffles.
- Using rotary cutter, cut each of the six quilting fabrics into eight 8” X 44” strips.
- With right sides together, sew all 8 strips of each fabric along the short edges making one long strip.
- Divide each long strip into thirds making 3 strips of each fabric.
- Gather each strip along one long edge to 69” in length.
- From backing fabric:
- Cut one piece 71”x92” for top
- Cut one piece 71”x12” for upper back
- Cut one piece 71”x85” for lower back
- Starting at bottom of duvet top, mark a line 4-1/2” up across the width (71”). Continue marking parallel lines, spacing each line 5” apart (18 rows).
- Starting at bottom line, pin and stitch ruffle leaving room at each edge for the seam. Use another fabric for the next row until all six fabrics have been used. Repeat the pattern of fabrics 3 times.
- Hem one 71” edge of the duvet back top and bottom pieces by folding the edge under 1” and 1” again, press and sew.
- Mark the hemmed edges of both pieces at center and then 12” from center both directions and 12” from those marks. Center 5” pieces of Velcro® at these marks and sew.
- Lay ruffled top right side up and pin the side of the ruffles away from the edges to keep from getting caught in seam. Also pin bottom ruffle up and out of the seam’s way.
- Place upper back raw edge along the top with the right side facing the ruffles and the lower back with the raw edge along the bottom and the right side facing the ruffles. Pin in place.
- Stitch, turn, remove pins and insert comforter.