SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Tulip® One-Step Dye: Red Green
- Tulip® Fashion Glitter™: Gold Silver
- Tulip® Fashion Glitter™ Bond
- Tulip® Multi-Surface Stencil: Small Stars
- Tulip® round fabric paint brushes
- Tulip® Dye zip ties
- White T-shirt – 100% cotton
- Chalk pencil
- Plastic tablecloth
- Large pastry cooling rack
- Freezer paper
For best results, please read all instructions before beginning project. Refer to photo for color and design placement.
1. Wash shirt and leave damp. Fold in half lengthwise, front facing out. Lay on work surface that is covered with plastic.
2. Starting just below the neckline of the shirt, use chalk pencil to lightly draw half of a triangle, with bottom edge about 6" from bottom of shirt.
3. Beginning at the bottom of triangle and starting at the folded edge of your shirt, pleat fabric along your chalk line, curving at the corner and continuing to pull the fabric together along the chalk line, eventually manipulating the fabric so that the chalk line is straight up and down. This will be the Christmas tree shape.
4. Once the chalk line is completely pleated up to top of shirt, use a zip tie to tightly secure along chalk line. Place tied shirt on pastry cooling rack on covered work surface.
5. Mix One-Step Dyes according to package instructions. Apply green dye to tree portion of the shirt (secured by zip tie), being careful to keep the dye approximately ½" away from zip tie.
6. Apply red dye to the rest of your shirt. Cover shirt with plastic and allow shirt to set for time recommended in package instructions.
7. Rinse shirt under warm running water to remove excess dye, leaving zip tie intact. Wash shirt according to dye package instructions. Remove zip tie and dry shirt in dryer.
8. Iron freezer paper to inside front of shirt to create stable painting surface.
9. Place star stencils on shirt where desired within tree design and dab Glitter Bond into stencil opening. Immediately sprinkle gold or silver glitter onto star. Remove stencil and repeat process, creating starts randomly all over tree. Let dry completely.
10. Remove freezer paper from inside of shirt.