U.S.A. Bouquet Cake
SUPPLIES AND TOOLS:
- Wilton® food-crafting supplies
- White Decorator Preferred® Fondant (10 oz. used)
- Gum-Tex® Tylose Powder
- Color Right® Performance Color System (see Colors Tinted below)
- Roll-N-Cut Mat
- 9 in. Fondant Roller (pink guide rings used)
- Round Fondant Double Cut-Outs Set (various sizes used)
- Oval Fondant Double Cut-Outs Set (various sizes used)
- Blossom Fondant Double Cut-Outs Set (various sizes used)
- Tip: 5
- 13"x19" Cake Boards
- 5-Piece Decorating Brush Set
- 11 3/4" Lollipop Sticks
- Easy Layers!® 6" Cake Pan Set
- 10"x16" Cooling Grid
- 13" Angled Spatula
- Thinned Fondant Adhesive
- Favorite white cake recipe or mix (1 mix/4 ½ cups batter used)
- White Ready-To-Use Decorator Icing—4.5 lb. Tub or Buttercream Icing Recipe (3 cups used)
Knead ¾ teaspoon of Gum-Tex Tylose into 10 oz. white fondant.
1. Tint ultra-concentrated fondant. Use Color Right base colors and QuickCount color formulas to tint fondant in the following shades:
• Winter Red (formula 186): 1 oz. fondant + 10 R
• Winter Blue (formula 647): 1 oz. fondant + 13 B + 4 R + 2 P
2. Mix ultra-concentrated color fondant with white fondant.
• For each color tinted, knead a 3/4" to 1" ball of ultra-concentrated color into 3 oz. white fondant.
Reserve remaining 2 oz. fondant white.
Use Color Right base colors and QuickCount color formula to tint batter in the following shade:
•Red: 1 ½ cups batter + 35 R
Reserve remaining white cake batter.
Cake serves 20.
Make fondant decorations 3 days in advance.
Tint fondant red and blue following color formulas above. Reserve 4 oz. white fondant. Use fondant roller with pink guide rings to roll out red, blue and white fondant, separately, 1/8" thick. Use straight and crinkled sides of round, flower and oval cut-outs to cut various sizes and shapes.
Create details on shapes 2 days in advance.
For polka dot effect, use narrow end of tip 5 to cut circles. Position on fondant shape; press lightly. Use fondant roller to roll over shape, then recut shape.
For round and blossom pinwheel shapes, use “A” size round or blossom cut-outs to cut base, then use knife to cut slits 1 ¼" deep to make round shape with eight wedges and flower shape with six angled petals.
For oval pinwheel shape, use “D” size oval cut-out to cut six or seven individual petals.
Let all shapes dry 24 hours on cornstarch-dusted board.
Assemble fondant decorations 1 day in advance.
Use brush and thinned fondant adhesive to attach fondant shapes in various combinations, starting with largest shape or pinwheel shapes on bottom. Let decorations dry 24 hours on cornstarch-dusted board.
Use thinned fondant adhesive to attach decorations to lollipop sticks, leaving 8" extended at bottom. Let dry, about 1 to 2 hours.
Make layered cake.
Prepare batter and tint 1 ½ cups red following color formula above. Fill two pans with red batter and three with white batter. Bake and cool cake.
Stack and fill layers with white icing on cake pedestal, placing red layers for top and bottom. Insert fondant decorations in cake top, trimming sticks as needed.
Project Tip: We have added extra drying time for fondant pieces to allow for humidity during the summer months. Once decorations have been made, be sure to store in a cool, dry place until needed.