Valentine Card Boxes
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Paper mache 8" round box, 12" round box, 9" square box
- Ribbons -- for paper covered box 7/8" hot pink grosgrain (to fit around box lid) Narrow light pink grosgrain (box lid and a bow) Scraps of short ribbon pieces
- Paper -- 3 coordinating for valentine box
- Fabric -- 1/2 yd each of two coordinating prints for fabric covered box
- Acrylic paint for painted box -- red, pink, purple, white
- Red, pink, white cardstock (cards and tags)
- White embossed 8"x8" cardstock (tag)
- Alphabet stickers (tags)
- Valentine embellishments
- Paper trimmer
- Double-sided tape
- Pink chalk and marker
- Stapler with red staples
- X-Acto knife
- Glue stick
- Adhesive tabs and/or dot runner
- Paint brushes
- Tacky glue
PAPER COVERED BOX:
- Cut a 4"x1/2" slot in the center of the lid, using an X-Acto knife.
- Trace lid onto back of petal paper. Cut out, adding 1" all around. Snip edges of circle every 1/2" just a bit beyond the pencil line. On a protected surface, apply glue from glue stick to the entire back of the petal paper. Place the lid over the glued paper, matching the pencil lines. Press the lid down for good adhesion, then lift the lid and press down all the flaps, adding more glue if necessary.
- Measure wide grosgrain ribbon to fit around the lid and adhere with double-sided tape, lining up ribbon with the very bottom edge. Add a narrower ribbon over this, using tape. Begin with the center of the ribbon at the back and tie a bow near the front with the excess.
- When the glue on the lid is dry, use the X-Acto knife to cut out the slot in the paper, from behind.
- Cut 2"x5" strips of a variety of color-coordinated papers. Snip 1/2" slits at 1/2" intervals at both narrow ends of the strips.
- On a protected surface, apply glue from a glue stick to the entire strip and adhere to box vertically, folding over flaps on inside and bottom of box. Cover entire box in this manner.
FABRIC COVERED BOX:
- Cut an 8"x1/2" slot in the center of the lid, using an X-Acto knife.
- Cut fabric for side of box 1" more than circumference and 2" more than box height.
- Spread tacky glue lightly on outer side of box. Press fabric around box extending 1" above and below sides. Glue overlap down. Glue excess fabric to bottom of box pleating as needed. Turn the top fabric over the edge and glue to the inside.
- Measure the lid up one side across the top and down the other side and add 2". The measurement is the diameter of the circle that is cut out of the remaining fabric to cover the lid. Spread tacky glue lightly over the top and side of the lid and press fabric on to lid pleating fabric around edge as needed. Turn excess fabric to the inside and glue in place. Cut a slit in the fabric at the top opening, turn cut edges in and glue to the inside of the lid.
- Cut a 6"x1/2" slot in the center of the lid, using an X-Acto knife.
- Paint box red and allow to dry.
- Paint words and designs as desired.
"ISABELLA" TENT CARD:
- Cut pink cardstock 6"x5" and fold in half to 3"x5" tent card. Cut out hot pink heart and adhere to top of card. Outline card and heart with pink marker. Add name stickers.
- Cut small slit at top of heart and tie on heart tag with narrow pink ribbon.
"LLOYD" TENT CARD:
- Cut red cardstock 8"x4-1/2" and fold in half to 4"x4-1/2" tent card. Add a panel of white and a smaller panel of heart vellum to front.
- Staple corners in an "X" pattern to secure.
- Add heart and "valentine" stickers and name stickers. Add more staples for decoration.
"SAGE" TENT CARD:
- Cut embossed Valentine paper 6"x5" and fold in half to 3"x5" top-fold card. Cut tag shape. Chalk the raised letters. Color "Love" "Bug" stickers with pink marker and attach to tag. Attach stickers to spell name.
- Punch a red circle and a smaller pink circle. Punch a hole through both and attach at narrow end of tag. Tie on pink and red ribbons.
"YOU'RE SPECIAL" VALENTINE CARD:
- Cut red cardstock 4"x11" and fold in half to 4"x5-1/2" tent card. Trace a heart shape on the back of pink cardstock and tear around line. Apply "You're Special" rub-on and attach to a tent card.
- Mount an acrylic word on 2 mats and attach to bottom left of card. Outline card and heart with black marker. Staple short pieces of ribbon at top of card. Write message inside.
"SMOOCHES" VALENTINE CARD:
- Cut white cardstock 8"x4" and fold in half to 4"x4" tent card. Trace heart shape on pink paper and cut out. Mount on red cardstock and cut out. Adhere to card.
- Cut out words from valentine paper and mount to card, along edges, as shown. Add a ribbon scrap and ladybug sticker on top of heart.
- Chalk edges of card and of heart with pink chalk. Draw a black line around outside edge of card. Write message inside.