SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 – 1-1/2 yard fabric panel; choose eight blocks to be used for Block A
- 3/4 yard fabric for Block B
- 1/2 yard coordinating fabric for sashing
- 1/2 yard coordinating fabric for alternate sashing
- 1/4 yard fabric for inner border
- 1-1/4 yard fabric for border
- 1/2 yard fabric for binding
- 3-1/2 yards fabric for backing
- One 63"x68" rectangle of batting
- Basic sewing/quilting supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Note: 1/4" seam allowance used throughout
WOF = width of fabric
Size of Quilt: 55"x60"
1. For Block A, cut eight 8"x10-1/2" rectangles from fabric panel. From coordinating sashing fabric, cut one 10-1/2" X WOF strips. Sub-cut into sixteen 2-1/2"x10-1/2" rectangles. Stitch a sashing strip to the top and the bottom of each fabric panel rectangle. Press seam allowances toward the sashing pieces. Make eight.
2. For Block B, cut eight 6-1/2"x11-3/4" rectangles from Block B fabric. Cut one 11-3/4" X WOF strip from alternate sashing fabric. Sub-cut into sixteen 2-1/2"x11-3/4" rectangles. Stitch sashing rectangles to each of the long sides of the Block B rectangles. Press seam allowances toward sashing pieces. Make eight.
3. Stitch one Block A unit to one Block B unit. Make four pairs. Stitch two pair together to make one row. Make two rows.
4. Stitch one Block B unit to one Block A unit. Make four pairs. Stitch two pair together to make one row. Make two rows.
5. Alternating rows, stitch rows together.
6. Cut three 1-1/2" x WOF strips from inner border fabric. Stitch short ends together. Measure across the center of the pieced unit. Cut top and bottom inner border pieces to that measurement. Stitch to the top and bottom. Press seam allowances toward the inner border.
7. Repeat as above for side borders.
8. Cut six 6-1/2" x WOF strips for outer borders. Stitch short ends together. Measure and stitch for top and bottom borders. Repeat for side borders.
9. Cut and piece fabric for backing as needed for a 63"x68" rectangle.
10. Layer backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt as desired.
11. Cut six 2-1/2" X WOF strips for binding. Stitch short ends together. Fold in half with long edges even and wrong sides together. Press. Stitch to the right side of the quilt with raw edges even. Turn to back and whipstitch.