Vintage Inspired Photo Printed Tank
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Lumi® Photo Printing Kit
- 100% cotton or rayon tank top: coral
- Push pins or straight pins
- Painter’s tape
- Paper towel
- Lumi® App, free
- Vintage photo
- Computer & printer
- Washing machine & dryer
1. Choose a vintage photo. Images with bold shapes and good contrast work best.
2. Use the free Lumi app to turn it into a negative (http://lumi.co/app).
3. Print 2 negatives of the vintage photo onto inkjet printable Inkofilm™, included with the kit. Custom-printed negatives can also be ordered directly from the Lumi app.
4. Line up the two negatives, one on top of the other, to create a single dense negative.
5. Find a dim workspace away from direct sunlight, with good ventilation. It does not need to be completely dark.
6. Insert the included project board into the tank top.
7. Apply painter’s tape to create a border for the print.
8. Apply the sunlight-activated Inkodye® Black Snap Pack to the area in between the two strips of tape. Note that Inkodye® applies translucent, so the shirt will just look wet.
9. Blot off the shirt with a paper towel to remove excess Inkodye®; the optimal print surface is damp to the touch, not wet.
10. Smooth any wrinkles that occurred during dye application.
11. Place the negative squarely ink-side up on top of the coated tank top. The tacky side of the negative should be facing up. Use pins to secure.
12. Take the tank top outside into bright sunlight. At noon on a sunny day, the print will develop in 12 min, or 20–30 min on a cloudy day.
13. After the print is fully exposed, bring it indoors and peel back the negative to reveal the design. The coral color from the tank top and the black from the Inkodye® will mix to create a sepia effect.
14. Using Inkowash™ detergent, machine-wash the tank top TWICE on the HOT/COLD machine cycle. After washing the tank top twice it can be tumble-dried and washed normally with like colors.