Violet Ombre Cake with 5 Layers
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Wilton® food-crafting supplies:
- Violet Icing Color*
- Rose Icing Color*
- Easy Layers!™ Cake Pan Set
- 10"x16" Cooling Grid
- White Ready-To-Use Decorator Icing—4.5 lb. Tub
- 6" Cake Circles
- 11" Straight Spatula
- Favorite white cake mix (1 mix needed)
*Combine violet with rose for violet shades used to tint cake batter and icing.
1. Make layered cake. Prepare batter following recipe directions. Divide batter into five equal portions. Use a combination of violet and rose icing colors to tint each portion a different shade of violet, from light to dark. Use more violet color than rose color for all shades; gradually add more color to batter for darker shades. Mix batter between additions to check color. Bake and cool cake layers in pan set according to pan package directions.
2. Fill cake. Tint portions of decorator icing dark, medium and light violet using violet and rose icing colors (use more violet than rose). Start with darkest color and then gradually add less icing color for lighter shades. Remember to mix icing between additions to check color. Reserve some white. Place darkest cake layer on cake circle. Use spatula and white icing to ice top of first layer smooth and stack with next layer. Continue icing and adding layers from darkest to lightest.
3. Decorate cake. Use spatula and dark violet icing to ice bottom third of cake smooth. Use spatula and medium violet icing to ice middle third of cake smooth. Lightly blend tone transition between dark and medium violet icing. Use spatula and light violet icing to ice top portion of cake smooth. Lightly blend tone transition between medium and light violet icings. Use spatula to make icing lines on cake.