Vortex Ruffled Cowl
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Red Heart® Soft®: 2 balls, Navy
- Red Heart® Boutique Sashay Sequins™: 1 ball, Twilight
- Susan Bates Crochet Hook®: 5.5mm [US I-9]
- 2 stitch markers
- Yarn needle
- Sewing needle
- Matching sewing thread
- GAUGE: 15 sc = 4" (10 cm). In pattern, 10 rows = 4" (10 cm). (Pattern consists of alternating rows of sc and dc with long post stitches.) CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
- Red Heart® Soft®: solid color 5 oz (141 g), 256 yd (234 m), print 4 oz (113 g), 204 yd (187 m), and heather 4oz (113g), 212 yd (194m) balls
- Red Heart® Boutique Sashay Sequins™: 3.5 oz (100g), 20 yd (18m) balls
- Special Stitches
- Fsc = foundation single crochet.
- First stitch: Chain 2, insert hook into second chain from hook, yarn over, draw up a loop, yarn over, draw through 1 loop (chain portion of stitch completed), yarn over, draw through both loops on hook (single crochet portion of stitch completed).
- Remaining stitches: Insert hook under 2 loops of chain portion of previous stitch, yarn over, draw up a loop, yarn over, draw through 1 loop (chain portion of stitch completed), yarn over, draw through both loops on hook (single crochet portion of stitch completed).
- Fptr = front post treble crochet. Yarn over twice, insert hook from front to back and to front again around the vertical post of indicated stitch, yarn over and pull up loop, [yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook] 3 times.
- BR = braid. Worked over the next 3 stitches 2 rows below as indicated: skip first stitch 2 rows below, Fptr around each of the next 2 stitches 2 rows below, Fptr around first skipped stitch 2 rows below.
- Row 1: Work 31 Fsc (see Special Stitches).
- Row 2 (Right side): Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), dc in each of the next 30 sts; turn—31 dc.
- Row 3: Ch 1 (does not count as a st), sc in each of the next 30 dc and top of beginning ch-3; turn—31 sc.
- Row 4: Ch 3, dc in each of the next 4 sc, *Fptr (see Special Stitches) around next dc 2 rows below, BR (see Special Stitches) over next 3 dc 2 rows below, Fptr around next dc 2 rows below, dc in each of the next 3 sc; repeat from * twice, dc in each of the last 2 sc; turn—16 dc, 15 Fptr.
- Row 5: Ch 1, sc in each of the next 30 sts and in the top of beginning ch-3; turn—31 sc.
- Row 6: Ch 3, dc in each of the next 4 sc, *Fptr around next Fptr 2 rows below, BR over next 3 BR sts 2 rows below, Fptr around next dc 2 rows below, dc in each of the next 3 sc; repeat from * twice, dc in each of the last 2 sc; turn—16 dc, 15 Fptr.
- Repeat Rows 5-6 until Cowl measures 50" (127 cm) long, ending on a Row 5. With Wrong side out, match sts on ends of first and last Rows and slip st ends together to join. Fasten off, weave in ends.
- Note: Open up the Sashay Sequins to smooth it out, and work into the top edge without the sequins. Start 4" (10 cm) from the end, and work into every other loop on the top edge to create the Ruffle.
- Hold Sashay Sequins and Cowl with Right sides together. Insert hook where the Cowl is joined and through first loop of Sashay Sequins, draw loop up to join; *working evenly along first side of Cowl, insert hook into next st on Cowl and pull up another loop of Sashay Sequins and make a slip st; repeat from * around. Place a stitch marker in the last loop so it does not unravel. Fasten off.
- Trim the Sashay Sequins, leaving a 4" (10 cm) end. Fold under raw edge of each end, use sewing needle and thread to tack down both ends of the Sashay Sequins at the joining point to secure them.
- Repeat for second side.
- ch = chain
- cm = centimeters
- dc = double crochet
- mm = millimeters
- sc = single crochet
- st(s) = stitch (es)
- tr = treble (triple) crochet
- yo = yarn over
- * or ** = repeat whatever follows the * or ** as indicated
Cowl measures 9" (23 cm) wide x 50" (127 cm) long before joining and adding Ruffle.