Waterproof Picnic Blanket or Furniture Cover
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Babyville Boutique™:PUL - 1-3/4 yardsFold Over Elastic (FOE) - 1 pkg.
- Fleece - 1-3/4 yards
- 1" Poly Belting - 1-1/4 yards
- Dritz®:1" parachute buckleMark-B-Gone™ marking penPattern weightsBallpoint straight pinsQuilting™ binding clips
- Bowl or plate
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
1. Cut PUL to 58"x58". Use a plate or bowl to draw round corners on PUL and then cut off corners.
2. Using PUL as pattern, cut fleece to same size of PUL. For easier cutting, lay fleece on floor, right side up. Position PUL on top of fleece, wrong side up. Place pattern weights on PUL and cut out fleece. Using binding clips, secure cut edges together.
3. Cut two 15" pieces of FOE. Baste raw edges together. On one edge of blanket, pin each FOE loop 24" in from side of blanket.
4. For shoulder strap, cut 6" of belting and thread through end of male side of buckle. Baste raw edges together. Pin to edge of blanket, just inside of a FOE loop. Pin remainder of belting just inside of other FOE loop. Make sure all of the FOE loops and belting are between the fleece and PUL layers.
5. Using a 1/2" seam, stitch around edge of blanket. Leave a 6" to 8" opening on any side other than side with loops and belting. Clip round corner seams.
6. Turn blanket, right side out, and lightly press edge on PUL side. If seams roll a little, pin or clip to hold in place. Turn opening seam allowances in and pin in place.
7. Top stitch 1/4" from edge around entire blanket. This will also stitch the opening closed.
8. Thread long belting strap through female side of buckle. Turn edge of belting under and stitch to secure.
9. With loops and belting at top of blanket, fold into thirds and then roll up blanket. Stretch loops over ends of blanket to secure. Clip buckle ends together and tighten belting to desired length for shoulder carrying strap.
10. To keep dew from wicking through blanket, use with the PUL side towards the ground.
11. For furniture cover, size can be increased and FOE loops and shoulder strap can be eliminated.