Whimsical Garden Tote
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Ready-to-Finish wooden crate
- Acrylic paint in color of choice
- Small foam paint brush
- 1-1/2 yds. Ticking
- Fabric glue
- 1" Foam, cut 17"x9"
- Disappearing fabric marker
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- 1-1/4 yds. Fabric for pockets & kneeling pad
NOTE: Directions are for a purchased wooden crate 17"x9"x11", adjust as needed to fit crates of other sizes.
- Apply two coats of paint to wooden crate. Allow to dry thoroughly after each coat. Cut fabric:
- From the ticking, cut two pieces 18"x48". Note: If crate size varies, multiply height four times and add the depth of crate, then add 1" for seam allowances.
- From fabric, cut two pieces 13"x30" for pockets. Note: If crate size varies, subtract 2" for sides, then divide by four and add 3" for each pocket, then add 1" for seam allowances.
- Next, cut two fabric pieces 11"x19" for kneeling pad and one piece 3"x9" for kneeling pad handle.
MAKE CRATE LINER & POCKETS:
- Fold fabric in half lengthwise with right sides together and mark center. Measure in 1" on each side and draw a line. Fold edge lines to center and draw a line at each fold. Note: These are the sewing lines for pockets.
- Measure 1-1/2" out from each line then fold to line to make pocket; press. Repeat for all pockets.
- Baste pockets along sides and bottom of short end of ticking. Then stitch pockets to ticking along marked lines.
- Repeat for other end.
- With right sides together of the two ticking pieces, stitch ticking together using 1/2" seam allowance. Leave opening for turning.
- Turn right side out, press, slip stitch opening closed and edge stitch entire cover.
MAKE KNEELING PAD:
- Fold handle piece in half lengthwise then fold edges to center and edge stitch both sides.
- Center handle on one long edge of fabric; baste. With right sides together of the two 11"x19" pieces, stitch together with a 1/2" seam allowance. Leave opening for turning.
- Fold corner seams together and sew to make a 1" box. Turn inside out.
- Insert 1" foam. Slip stitch opening closed.
- Position Velcro to pad and cover. Glue or slip stitch in place.