Whimsical Wood Sign
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1" thick × 2" wide birch wood furring strips (planks): length of choice (2)
- 1" thick × 3" wide birch wood furring strips: length of choice (2)
- 1" thick × 4" wide birch wood furring strips: length of choice (2)
- 1/4"x3" birch wood furring sticks
- Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain
- Sandpaper: grits 120, 180, 220
- Tack coth
- Acrylic paint: color of choice
- Polyurethane top coat
1. Setup a work-space in a well-ventilated area.
2. Arrange the furring strips horizontally, alternating the width: 2" wide followed by 3” wide followed by 4” wide. Repeat.
3. Nail the birch sticks to the back of the furring strips for added support.
4. Sand the entire surface lightly, progressing from 120 grit, to 180 grit, finishing with 220 grit sandpaper. Always sand in the direction of the grain.
5. Remove sanding dust between each grit of sandpaper using a lint-free cloth or tack cloth. After the 220-grit sandpaper, use a lightly dampened rag to thoroughly wipe all of the sanding dust from the wood.
6. Using a clean, lint free rag, flood the entire wood surface with stain. Be generous with the amount applied.
7. Let the stain sit for 1- 2 minutes then wipe off any excess, using a clean rag, wiping in the direction of the grain. Ensure that ALL excess stain is removed from the surface. Do not over-rub.
8. Allow to dry overnight.
9. Place the stencil on the surface. Fill in the outline with an acrylic paint.
10. Once paint is dry apply a polyurethane top coat for added protection (optional step).
11. Allow to dry 2-4 hours before hanging.