Wiggle Waggle Quilt
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Legacy Studio quilting fabrics:
- 5/8 yd Ducky Bubbles
- 1/4 yd Dragonfly Zoo
- 1/2 yd Waddle Ducks
- 1-1/3 yds Good and Plenty
- 3/4 yd Bubble Dots
- 1/3 yd Rainbow stripe
- 1/6 yd Linear Buzz Yellow
- 1/6 yd Linear Buzz Orange
- 1-1/4 yds Linear Buzz Green
- 2 yds Backing
- 52"x52" Batting piece
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Center Square: Cut one 18-1/2" square from the Ducky Bubbles.
- Corner Blocks: Cut four 6-1/2" squares from the Dragonfly Zoo.
- For the Quarter Square Triangle Blocks: Cut four 8" squares from each Bubble Dots and Rainbow Stripe.
- Square-in-Square Centers: Cut (108) 2-1/2" squares from Good and Plenty.
- Square-in-a-Square Corners: Cut (432) 1-1/2" squares from Linear Buzz Green.
- For the Corner Stones: Cut twelve 2-1/2" squares from each Linear Yellow and Linear Orange.
- For the Inner Borders: Cut two 3-1/2"x34-1/2" strips and two 3-1/2"x401/2" strips from Bubble Dots.
- Outer Border: Cut three 2-1/2" x width of fabric (WOF) strips. Piece the strips together to make two 2-1/2"x44-1/2" borders. Cut two 2-1/2"x401/2" strips for borders.
- Binding: Cut five 2-1/2" x WOF strips.
- To make the quarter square triangle blocks, place one 8" Rainbow Stripe square on top of one 8" Bubble Dots square, right sides together. Draw a line across the diagonal of the top square (Fig. 1).
- Sew a 1/4" away from each side of the drawn diagonal line (Fig. 1).
- Cut the two squares apart on the drawn diagonal line (Fig. 2) to make two half square triangles (Fig. 3).
- Repeat Steps 1-3 to make eight half-square triangle blocks. Trim the blocks to measure 67/8" square.
- Place one half-square triangle from Step 4 on top of another half-square triangle, right sides together. Make sure the center seam is going in the same direction on both half-square triangles and the Bubble Dots Triangle in the top block is opposite from the Rainbow Stripe in the bottom block (Fig. 4).
- Draw a diagonal line across the top half-square triangle so that it goes through the sewn seam. Sew 1/4" away from both sides of the drawn line (Fig. 5). Cut on the drawn line to make two quarter-square triangles (Fig. 6). Make eight 6-1/2" quarter-square triangles.
- To make one square-in-a-square block, place one 1-1/2" Linear Buzz Green square to the top left corner of one 2-1/2" Good and Plenty square, right sides together (Fig. 7). Sew across the diagonal of the smaller square from the upper right corner to the lower left corner (Fig. 7). Flip open the triangle formed and press (Fig. 8). Trim away the excess fabric 1/4" from behind the triangle 1/4" away from the sewn seam.
- Follow Figure 9 for the seam direction to add a 1-1/2" Linear Buzz square to each of the remaining corners of the 2-1/2" Good and Plenty square to make one square-in-a-square block.
- Repeat Steps 6 and 7 to make (108) square-in-a-square blocks.
- Sew together three square-in-a-square blocks to make one sashing strip. Repeat to make thirty-six sashing strips total.
- Refer to the quilt photo to sew together the 2-1/2" cornerstones, sashing strips, 6-1/2" Dragonfly Zoo squares, 6-1/2" Quarter Square Triangle blocks and the 18-1/2" Ducky Bubble square to make the quilt top.
- Sew one 3-1/2"x34-1/2" Bubble Dots strip to each side of the quilt top. Sew one 3-1/2"x401/2" Bubble Dots strip to the top and bottom of the quilt top.
- Sew one 2-1/2"x401/2" Waddle Ducks strip to each side of the quilt top. Sew one 2-1/2"x44-1/2" Waddle Ducks strip to the top and bottom of the quilt top.
- Layer, quilt and bind as desired.