Winter Treat Dish
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- FloraCraft® Make it: Fun® Foam: Balls, 6", 5",4" diameter
- FloraCraft® Make it: Egg, 4"
- Two-part clear acrylic ball ornaments: 100 mm & 80 mm
- 1/4 yd. printed fleece
- Buttons: two 7/8" white; two 1/2" black; 7-10 orange, ranging in size from 3/4" to 3/8"
- Fiber fill, small amount.
- Metal ruler
- Serrated knife
- Glue gun & glue sticks
- Serving spoon
- Scratch paper
- Tacky glue
1. To form flat bottom, use serrated knife to trim off 4" diameter slice from 6" foam ball. Set on table with flat side down. Separate 100 mm acrylic ornament and set one half aside for another project. Press rim of ornament into top of ball to mark. Remove ornament and use spoon to scoop out area large enough for ornament half to fit. In order to have rim around ornament half, trim small amount from top of ball so that it is flush with ornament half. Fit ornament half down into foam.
2. Repeat Step 1, cutting 2-1/2" diameter slice from 5" ball. Use 80 mm acrylic ornament half to mark and scoop opening in top of ball and place ornament half down inside.
3. For head, cut 1-1/2" diameter slice from 4" ball. With cut edges down on table, position head, middle and bottom balls. Press together to slightly flatten balls at contact points. Use Foam Cutter to slice away contact areas to create gluing surfaces. Use glue gun to connect balls.
4. For arms, cut egg in half, lengthwise. Press cut edges onto table to round sharp corners. Position against sides of middle balls and determine contact areas that need to be slightly scooped out for the halves to fit onto the ball with the small end of the egg halves pointed toward the bottom ball. Smooth and scoop as needed to fit. Glue contact points and allow to dry.
5. For hat, cut 12-1/2"x20" strip from fleece. Fold in half lengthwise, slightly overlap long ends and glue, forming a 6"x20" tube. On one short end, cut 2" slits, 1/4" apart for top fringe. Cut 3/4"x8" strip fleece. Just below fringe on end of tube, hand gather and wrap strip around, tying and knotting to secure. Fold approx. 2" of other end of tube to inside. With glued seam at back, pull tube over snowman head and fold up bottom of tube to create rim of hat. Adjust folds as needed to fit.
6. For scarf, cut 2-1/2"x24" piece fleece and wrap around neck. Tie to snowman’s right side and in ends, cut 2" slits, 1/4" apart.
7. For mittens, on scratch paper sketch mitten 3"x4" long and cut out. Use pattern to cut four mittens from fleece. Glue together two fleece mittens, by applying tacky glue only along inside edge of mitten. Repeat with other mitten and allow to dry. Lightly stuff each mitten with fiberfill and put onto bottom of arm, folding mitten back to create cuff. Hot glue to hold in place as needed.
8. For eyes, glue black buttons onto white buttons as shown and glue to face. For nose, stack orange buttons from largest to smallest and glue to face. Let hat come down slightly over top of white button and scarf come up touch nose as though the mouth is being covered up.
9. Fill acrylic ornament halves with color-coordinated candies.