Supplies & Tools:
DecoArt Americana Decor® Stencils: Distressed Harlequin
DecoArt Media® Fluid Acrylics:
- Carbon Black
- Cobalt Turquoise Hue
- Cobalt Teal Hue
- Green Gold
- Pyrrole Red
- Naphthol Red Light
- Primary Yellow
- Quinacridone Burnt Orange
- Quinacridone Magenta
- Titanium White
- Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide
- Yellow Green Light
- -Gold (Metallic)
DecoArt Media® Specialty Products: White Gesso
DecoArt® Primers, Sealers, and Finishes: Americana® Matte Spray Finish
Wooden house shape
Palette or plastic plate
¼” flat brush
#8 round brush
#0 liner brush
1" foam brush
NOTE: Allow to dry completely between painting steps.
- Prime wooden house shape with White Gesso using 1" foam brush.
- Put few drops of Cobalt Teal Hue, Titanium White, and Cobalt Turquoise Hue on palette or plastic plate. Dip foam brush in so that all three colors are on brush. Paint using this technique for entire surface, allowing streaks to show.
- Place Americana Decor Distressed Harlequin Stencil on lower part of house vertically. Using Titanium White, pounce foam brush randomly around house on all four sides. Repeat this with Cobalt Turquoise Hue.
- Dip #8 round brush into water and then into Cobalt Turquoise Hue, adding bit of water to it. Tap brush slightly over house on all four sides to create some splattering.
- Turn Distressed Harlequin Stencil horizontally on roof and repeat process from previous step for all four sides of roof. Using Gesso, paint door, windows, and scallop border around roofline and door, and create flowers, stems, and leaves. Go heavy on Gesso on the flowers to give them more raised surface.
- With #8 round brush, paint flowers Naphthol Red Light. Quickly take piece of paper towel and lightly dab center of flower to make it lighter. Paint small bit of Titanium White in center of flowers. With detail brush, add dots of Primary Yellow, let dry, and add small dot of Carbon Black. For stems and leaves, paint in layers of Yellow Green Light and Green Gold.
- Mix drop or two of Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide and Carbon Black. Use mix to paint in windows. Dab lightly with paper towels on one side of window to give it lightness. Add cross to windows and door in Metallic Gold. Paint in window box in Metallic Gold. Outline window, panes, and box with Titanium White.
- Paint door with ¼” flat brush and Quinacridone Magenta. With damp paper towel, wipe little bit off to make it lighter in middle. Paint door panel cross in Metallic Gold and highlight with Titanium White. Paint small scallops around door with mix of Carbon Black and slightly watered down Titanium White, and highlight with Titanium White. Paint small heart using liner brush with Pyrrole Red and small dot of Carbon Black in center.
- For roof, paint all harlequins with Quinacridone Burnt Orange using #8 round brush. Using foam brush, paint entire roof with 50/50 mix of Metallic Gold and water.
- Optional: Use Carbon Black and liner brush to paint in script of choice on back of house. Rub over wording with damp paper towel to distress.
- Water down Carbon Black and use liner brush to go around door, windows, scallops, and flowers to add shading.
- Place drops of Carbon Black and Metallic Gold on plate; use finger to randomly rub edges of house.
- When completely dry, spray with Americana Matte Spray Finish.