Woven Christmas Stocking
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1-1/4 yd tango glitter satin
- 3/4 yd red shantung
- 1/2 yd red crushed panne
- 2 yds fusible interfacing
- Iron & ironing surface
- Rotary cutter & mat
- Padded mat or surface
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
WOF=Width of Fabric
- Enlarge pattern to 24" tall. Cut eight 3" x WOF strips each from satin and shantung.
- Press long edges of each strip to center making 1-1/2" strips.
- Cut 2 stocking bases, following outer line of pattern from fusible interfacing, fusible side facing up.
- Pin interfacing stocking, fusible side up to padded mat. Lay strips of shantung on interfacing stocking at 45-degree angle. Cut each piece to cover base. Pin strips next to each other; leave no gaps between strips.
- Weave strips of satin in and out, over and under the shantung. Cut ends as needed. When weaving is complete, following manufacture's directions to fuse strips to interfacing. Repeat for back of stocking. Match weaving to front.
- Right sides together, match bases and cut stocking along cutting line (see pattern). Pins front and back together; stitch using 1/2" seam allowance. Clip curves. Turn stocking right side out.
- Cuff: Cut one piece 17-1/2"x15" from panne.
- Fold in half with right sides together to 8-3/4"x15" and sew 1/2" seam.
- Fold wrong sides together to make 8-1/4"x7-1/2" cuff. Baste raw edges together.
- Sew a running stitch along seam and at center front, gather to 4-1/2". Secure ends.
- Baste cuff to top of stocking on outside.
- To make shantung hanging loop cut 2"x4", fold edges to center; fold in half again and edge stitch long edges.
- Fold to create hanging loop and baste to back of stocking over cuff.
- From satin cut two stocking linings following cutting line on pattern.
- With right sides together, sew lining, leaving an opening at one side for turning. Clip curves.
- With right sides together, sew lining to stocking top. Turn lining through opening. Stitch opening closed. Position lining inside of stocking.