SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Coats® Water-resistant Zippers, 7" and 14"
- Coats® Dual Duty XP All-Purpose Thread: Black, Hot Pink
- ¼ yd satin fabric
- ½ yd fusible interfacing
- Iron & ironing surface
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
1. Cut two 5" x 9" pieces from both satin and interfacing.
Cut one 3" x 9" pieces from both satin and interfacing.
Cut one 9" x 9" piece from satin for lining.
2. Fuse interfacing to the wrong side of satin. This will be the purse fabric.
Note: Thread the machine with matching thread for construction. When topstitching zipper, thread the top of the machine with black.
3. Front Pocket: Finish the upper edge (long) with overlock or zigzag stitch. With right sides up, overlap edge of zipper tape 1/4" over finished pocket edge. Topstitch along edge of zipper. Place pocket on purse front, aligning lower edges and sides. Machine baste lower edges together. Topstitch upper edge of zipper tape to purse front.
4. Place the purse front and purse back right sides together. Sew lower edge with a 1/2" seam, press open. Place purse and lining right sides together. Sew upper & lower edges together with 1/4" seam. Turn to right side & press.
5. Fold purse, aligning side seams, right sides together. Stitch using 1/2" seam allowance. Overlock or zigzag raw edges. Box corners by aligning side seam and bottom seam, stitch 1" from point, across corner. Trim, and overlock or zigzag.
6. Unzip 14" zipper. Overlap one edge of zipper tape with the finished top edge of purse. The bottom end of the zipper should extend approximately 1" off the purse. Topstitch starting and stopping 1/2" from side seam. Repeat on other side. Overlap the ends of the zipper tape above the top stop and bar tack in place to form a strap for the purse.