SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Abbey Pre-cut Dress Pieces
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Abbey Strips
- Lightweight paper-backed fusible web: 3"x3"
- Wood dowel or chopstick
- Safety pin
- Rotary cutter, acrylic ruler & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not pre-wash fabrics. Use a 1/4" seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam to secure stitching. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Finish seam allowances with zigzag or serge stitching, or pinking shears.
FITTING: The Abbey Single Pocket Dress as pictured is 17-1/2”. Consult the fitting information section from the Little Dress Boutique™ Abbey Pre-cut Dress Pieces package for fitting guidelines. Depending on the techniques you choose for embellishment, finished dress length may vary.
- Follow Steps 1-3 of the dress instructions to make the dress.
- Make lower band from 5" strips. Measure the bottom width of the dress and cut two strips 4" wide by the length of your measurement for wide band. Cut two strips from another fabric 2-1/2” wide by the length of your measurement for narrow band. Turn the long edges of all four bands to the wrong side 1/4" and press.
- If altering the length of dress from the fitting information, make sure of the desired length before proceeding and allow 1/2” for the hem in Step 10.
- Continue to attach the bands with right sides facing up. Mark centers and sides 1-1/2" from bottom of dress pieces; connect marks across width. Place wide band across the dress piece so bottom fold is at the 1-1/2" line; pin. Sew close to each edge. Center the narrow band on top and sew close to each edge. Trim ends even with sides. Repeat for the other dress piece. Note: Check placement at sides so front and back match at the seams.
- Make pocket from 5" strips. Cut a rectangle 5"x8-1/2" from one strip for the pocket. Cut a second rectangle 1-1/2"x5" for the pocket band (from the remaining fabric from the dress band). Turn both long edges of band to wrong side 1/4" and press. Fold pocket in half with wrong sides together so short edges meet; press the fold to crease the center. Open the pocket flat with right side up and pin the band 1-1/4" below the center crease; stitch close to the folds to attach the band to the pocket.
- Pocket flower appliqué on the model dress was made from excess fabric that was trimmed to shorten the dress. Cut out a 3" square with flower centered and iron fusible web to the wrong side following manufacturer’s directions. Cut out flower and remove paper backing. Fuse to a light colored 3” scrap of fabric and cut out around flower shape. Center on pocket band and stitch around the edges with a straight or zigzag stitch.
Note: If there is no extra dress fabric, you can create your own appliqué by tracing the flower motif from the dress fabric and using it as a pattern with other strip or fabric quarter fabrics.
- To finish pocket, fold pocket RST so short edges meet; sew the sides and bottom leaving a 2" opening for turning. Clip the corners and turn right side out; press flat.
- For pocket placement on dress front, measure 2" from the top of wide band and 4" from the side, or place as desired. Pin and stitch around the sides and bottom of each pocket, closing the opening.
- Continue with Step 4 of the dress instructions to sew side seams, matching bands, and turn dress right side out.
- To hem bottom edge of dress, press under 1/4” twice and stitch close to the fold.
- Make shoulder tie from two different 5” strips (to make as pictured on model). Cut a 2"x42" strip from each fabric. Layer one strip of each fabric RST so long edges meet and sew 1/4" from all cut edges leaving a 3” opening in the center for turning. Turn right side out and use a wood dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Topstitch close to all edges, sewing opening closed.
Attach a safety pin to one end of tie and feed it through the front and back casings. Pull to gather and tie on one shoulder. Note: For quick serged ties, sew with wrong sides together and finish edges with a serged rolled hem.
Finished Care Instructions: Machine wash warm and hang to dry. Press on cotton setting if needed.