SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Wilton® food-crafting supplies:
- Ready-To-Use Gum Paste (6 oz. used)
- Color Right Performance Color System (tinting formulas below)
- Roll-N-Cut Mat
- 9" Fondant Roller (pink guide rings used)
- 101 Cookie Cutters Set (O, H, B, A, Y cutters used)
- 5-Pc. Decorating Brush Set
- 8" Cake Circles
- Easy Layers! Cake Pan Set
- 16" x 10" Cooling Grid
- White Ready-To-Use Decorator Icing—4.5 lb. Tub (5-1/4 cups used)
- 11" Angled Spatula
- 12" Disposable Decorating Bags
- Decorating Tip: 3 (2 used)
- Plastic ruler
- Gum glue adhesive
- Favorite white cake recipe or mix (1 mix [4-1/2 cups] used)
- Cake plate
Use Color Right base colors and QuickCount color formula to tint gum paste in the following shade:
• Gray (formula 535.6): 6 oz. white gum paste + 1 BK
Use Color Right base colors and QuickCount color formula to tint batter in the following shade:
• Pastel Pink (formula 1895): 3/4 cup batter + 1 P
Tint ultra-concentrated icing. Use Color Right base colors and QuickCount color formulas to tint icing in the following shades:
• Pastel Yellow (formula 100): ¼ cup icing + 2 Y
• Neutral Gray (formula 537): ¼ cup icing + 3 BK
For shades used in this project, mix ultra-concentrated icing with white icing.
• For Pastel Yellow, add 5 teaspoons of ultra-concentrated yellow icing to ¼ cup white icing.
• For Neutral Gray, add 3 teaspoons of ultra-concentrated gray icing to ½ cup white icing.
Cake serves 12.
- Make gum paste message 3 days in advance. Tint gum paste gray following color formula above. Use fondant roller with pink guide rings to roll out gum paste 1/16" thick.
- Use letter cutters from set to cut message. Use rotary cutter to cut 3/8" wide strips for sides of letters in the following lengths:
•For “O”, cut a 2 ½" strip for inside opening and a 7-1/2" strip for outside.
•For “H”, cut a 9" strip. For each “B”, cut two 2" strips for inside openings and a 7-1/2" strip for outside.
•For “A”, cut a 2" strip for inside opening and a 7-1/2" strip for outside. For “Y”, cut a 7-1/2" strip.
- Use brush and gum glue adhesive to attach strips to letters. Allow all pieces dry on cornstrach-dusted board overnight.
- Assemble message 2 days in advance. Use brush and gum glue adhesive to attach letters together for each word. Attach words together. Let dry overnight.
- Prepare batter and divide into five equal portions. Tint one portion pink following color formula above. Bake and cool cake layers in pan set.
- Tint icing yellow and gray following color formulas above. Reserve about 4 cups white. Place first white layer on cake plate. Use spatula and white icing to ice top of layer smooth and stack with pink layer. Continue icing and adding layers. Use spatula and icing to ice cake smooth.
- Prepare two decorating bags with tip 3. Fill one bag with yellow icing and the other with gray. Pipe random dots on bottom half of cake and yellow dots inside gum paste letters. Position message on cake, supporting with icing if needed.