Do you have your Halloween costume planned yet? Sometimes I’m so preoccupied with my kids’ costumes that I don’t find the time to think about one for myself. This year, however, I’ll be ready with today’s easy DIY Bank Robber Costume! It’s perfect to wear with your spouse, BFF, or even on your own! I’m Abby from Sew Much Ado, and today I’m sharing how to make your own Bank Robber Costume, including a free mask pattern and moneybag appliqué pattern!
I love that this costume is easy to wear, and you’ll be surprised at how many of the costume parts can be found at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. For everything else, you’ll probably have most of it in your closet already!
It works great for a Halloween party or for chasing your kids around the block Trick or Treating!
Ready to get started?
Bank Robber Costume Supplies (for each costume unless otherwise noted):
• Black and white striped T-shirt or sweater
• Black pants and shoes
• Black finger gloves (can be found online or check the end caps of your local JOANN store)
• Black hat or beanie (these cute knit berets were found on the end caps of my local JOANN store)
• Medium canvas tote bag
• Moneybag appliqué material – black felt (if stitching appliqué to bag) – 1/4yd (enough for 2 appliqués) OR black Silhouette Smooth Heat Transfer Material (if using Silhouette Cameo to cut appliqué – one 9”x36” roll will be enough for 2 appliqués)
• Black felt – 1/8yd (for mask) (enough for 2 masks)
• Black fold over elastic – 1 package (enough for 2 masks)
• Wonder Tape (optional)
• basic sewing supplies – thread, pins, scissors, etc
Download the FREE MASK AND MONEYBAG APPLIQUE PATTERNS HERE. Print the pattern pages at 100% (make sure the printer is not set to scale).
To make the mask, use pattern provided to cut pieces from felt. Cut enough elastic to comfortably fit around the head (pin to mask to determine length).
Use Wonder Tape to hold mask pieces together, and pin one elastic end to each side of the mask, sandwiching between felt layers.
Stitch around outside of the mask, 1/8” from edges, and backstitching at sides where elastic is attached for added strength. Stitch around eye holes, 1/8” from edges.
To make moneybag, use pattern piece provided or Silhouette file to cut felt or heat transfer vinyl from. If using Silhouette, use a blade depth of 5, speed of 5, and thickness of 15 (a test cut is recommended so you can adjust settings needed for your machine).
If using felt, pin appliqué to the bag, centering. Stitch 1/8” from the edge of the felt around all edges to secure in place. If using vinyl, remove negative vinyl and center on the bag. Use a press cloth and cotton setting (no steam) to adhere vinyl to bag (press approximately 45-60 seconds per section). Remove plastic and let cool.
Put on your striped shirt, black pants, shoes, gloves, hat, and mask, and grab your bag, and you’re set!