Cinco De Mayo has become one of my favorite holidays thanks to my husband’s Mexican culture and influence. I love the colorful decorations and delicious foods that comes with the holiday. Luckily there is still time to decorate and I thought I would combine my two favorite aspects of this holiday, food and décor, in a fun and easy DIY. A taco pillow is festive and the perfect tribute to my favorite Cinco De Mayo treat. It’s also an easy to make no-sew pillow. This is the perfect holiday project for those who can’t sew like myself. Hi everyone! I’m Vanessa Diaz of Brite & Bubbly and here’s how to make this festive, tasty looking cute pillow!
To make this fun pillow you’ll need:
Here’s how to make this pillow:
1. First you’ll cut out your taco shell shape from the yellow felt fabric. The shell will be about 14 to 15 inches wide and about 10 inches high. You’ll want to fold your fabric in half to make sure you have an even amount of fabric to make both sides of your taco shell.
2. Once you have your desired size taco shell cut from your yellow felt fabric, you’ll then cut a strip of brown felt fabric that reaches the bottom of each side of your taco shell. You’ll then cut strips into the edge of that brown felt on each side of the felt. This will help the brown felt bend easier and you curve it to make it the meat of the taco.
3. After you cut your brown meat fabric, you cut out your lettuce, tomato, sour cream, and any other bits you’d like in your taco from the other color felts.
4. Make sure to cut enough to cover both inner sides of your taco shell.
5. You’ll first glue your lettuce, tomato, and extra garnishes to the inside of the taco shell fabric. You’ll glue it on with layers of fabric and felt glue. I like to use both to make it double secure.
6. You let those pieces dry and glue completely to your taco shell yellow felt fabric.
7. Once those pieces are dry, you then glue one side of the brown meat felt down the middle of your taco.
8. You then fill the center with your poly fill pillow filling.
9. Lastly, you’ll glue the other taco side to the middle meat all along the side and bottom sides. You want to make sure all sides are sealed and glued shut.
10. Let the pillow dry over night so the pillow is completely secure.
That’s it! You’re done and you have the perfect little pillow to decorate with for Cinco De Mayo.
You can make this pillow in the mini size I showed you or you can make it larger. You can also make a few pillows to decorate with.
It’s so simple and easy to make, you can make as many as you’d like for this colorful tasty holiday.
I love this pillow so much I’m keeping it out all year long actually. It fits right in with the rest of my tasty treats décor. If you love tacos as much as I do, you’ll probably do the same!
Be sure to shop the felt fabric section of your favorite JOANN Fabric and Craft Store to make your own fun taco or tasty treats pillows for Cinco De Mayo!