Hey Lovelies! Emily here from B. Lovely Events and today I have a fun graduation dessert for you to make for your grad parties or as a treat for a recent graduate. People will flip when they bite into these DIY Surprise Piñata Graduation Cupcakes. They are filled with little gold chocolate melts that rush out when you bite or cut into them. I love the thought of a “gold rush” for a new grad and the black and gold look of them is certainly a classic color theme for any grad party so these will fit right in! If your graduation party theme is black and white, these will definitely go too because of the chocolate cake and the white frosting on top with a little sprinkle of black and white cookie crumbles. They definitely work if you don’t have a theme either because they are fun to serve, tasty to eat and we know everyone will love them once they get they discover the surprise in the middle. Plus, they are also really easy to prepare! I’ll show you how.
I went simple! You can sub these ingredients for a cake and icing made from scratch if you want.
• 1 Box of Chocolate Cake Mix
• 1 Jar of Whipped Icing
• 3 Eggs
• 1 ¼ Cup Water
• ½ Cup of Vegetable Oil
Here is what you need for the surprise piñata part of the cupcake, the frosting and the graduation decorations
• Gold Cupcake Wrappers (available in-store)
• Gold Chocolate Drops
• 1 Can of Gold Shimmer Color Mist from Wilton
• Treat Corer (If you are looking for a little bit of candies in your cupcake)
• Treat Cutter Set with a circle (If you want more candies in your cupcake)
• Large Round Icing tip (If you want your cupcakes to have a smooth edge look)
• Large Star Icing Tip (If you want the traditional cupcake iced look)
• Lollipop Sticks (For the cupcake toppers)
• Cricut Air & Design Center– (To Cut the Cupcake Toppers)
• Black cardstock paper (For the graduation hat toppers)
• Gold Glitter Cardstock Paper (For the 2016 cupcake toppers)
• Hot Glue Gun & Glue
First Up: Make the cupcakes according to the directions on the box. Make sure to line them with the gold cupcake liners for the traditional & lovely black and gold graduation look.
While they are baking, you can spray the gold candies with the shimmer spray to make them really sparkle.
Let the cupcakes cool and then core them with your small or large corer depending on your preference. I like the large one circle cutter for a big impression of candies when they bite into the cupcake.
Also cut out a 2016 design from the Cricut center. It’s $1 for the design. To find it search 2016 in the image search. Cut this on gold glitter paper between 2”-3” big.
Break to lollipop sticks in half so they aren’t too tall for the cupcakes. Then hot glue the cutouts to the sticks. Insert the stick into the cupcake about an inch down. It is ok if they touch the candies.
Congrats grads of 2016! Best of luck to you and all your endeavors!
If you love pinning and want to save this how to, pin this!